Car stereo - android tablet

Flashback

Nov 9, 2010
I wasn't sure what forum this belonged it, so....
Anyway, I recently had the stereo in my car (a Camry) replaced. The replacement is really just an Android tablet, running Android 4.4. It has an 8 inch screen and does all the standard stuff (CD/DVD, video, radio, GPS, bluetooth hand-free, as well as having a browser in case I'm close to a hot spot (or use my phone as a hot spot). It works fairly well, but it came with almost no instructions of any kind. The seller (on Amazon) doesn't offer any and speaks limited English. The unit doesn't even have a brand name or model # on it. But it works pretty well in most respects. What doesn't work well (for me) is the bluetooth streaming. No track information (not even song name) is transmitted. The songs PLAY fine, but the display just says "track (#)" It actually says that for CDs too, but since I almost never listen to CDs and I can download and install something else, I don't care.

What I want to do is to replace whatever is controlling the bluetooth (or at least the streaming) part. I have no idea where to even start though. Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

I've moved your thread to Android Tablet Q&A for better response, but your problem may involve the hardware for bluetooth. Hope I'm wrong.o_O

Flashback

Nov 9, 2010
I'm hoping it isn't a hardware issue. When I played mp3s from a thumb drive after having this unit installed, the same thing happened. No track name/information. Then I installed poweramp and specified it as the program to play mp3s and information WAS displayed, so I'm hoping that it's just whatever music program is set as the default on that stereo. What I need to find - or what I'm looking for is the Android version of "default program settings" that you find in Windows. I just haven't found anything like that yet.