Charger as a last resort

thek135

Apr 19, 2011
My charger was screwing up and I was trying to find a way to make a temporary fix so I thought, "Why not just stick a wire down the middle of a Chupa-Chup stick and wrap another one around the outside?"

So I went about this task.

First, I ate a Chupa-Chup. (Well duh.)

Then, I tried to see if it would fit into the charging port. Sadly, it was slightly too big, but the Chupa-Chup stick was no match for my scissors, which shaved it down to size.

I then chopped off the end which has the little hole in and that little bit of the Chupa-Chup that always gets stuck in the stick.

I stuck the positive side of my wire in the middle of the stick and I took four or five strands of the negative wire and wrapped it round the outside. I then eased it into the charging port and, hey presto, the charging icon appears!

It is currently charging my tablet and I will upload some pictures of it charging it within the next hour or so.

Last edited:

thek135

Apr 19, 2011
Here are some pictures of the charger in action, sorry for my crappy camera, hope you can see the charging icon:

$Image32.jpg$Image30.jpg$Image31.jpg

I'm using a repurposed PSP charger which I mentioned in a different thread: Home made charger for Huawei S7 + other devices

In the past 20-30 mins, my tablet has gone from 55% to 69%, so it IS charging.

Thoughts?

goyar

Jun 28, 2011
The powerline universal ac adapter works great set at 6v cost $20.00 at walmart
3rd smallest attachment

thek135

Apr 19, 2011
Yeah, I would buy that from Wal-Mart, but I live in Australia, and I can't find a single electronics store here that has something with the right plug.
I probably wouldn't go with that one anyway, unless I was 100% sure that the S7 had a voltage regulator built into the charging circuit to bring the 6 volts down to 5.

Jota

May 25, 2011
Yeah, I would buy that from Wal-Mart, but I live in Australia, and I can't find a single electronics store here that has something with the right plug.
I probably wouldn't go with that one anyway, unless I was 100% sure that the S7 had a voltage regulator built into the charging circuit to bring the 6 volts down to 5.

What are the odds that the S7 has that voltage regulator included ??
How can one be sure about that??
It it does, it will help many people with "non-standard" chargers out there.

thek135

Apr 19, 2011
Jota, I'm not totally sure, there might be one in there, but if there is it may burn out if the voltage is too high.

kramyond1978

Jun 30, 2011
They do have a number you can call if your charger is messed up... mine broke in half while being put into the port on my Huawei s7...well to save you the trouble the address is in Texas well Now that I think Of it the Address for me is in Texas : Mail TO : Hauwei Service Center 1100 Professional Dr. Plano, Texas 75074 they really helped me I have been looking for a long time now and they told me to mail only my charger and my contact info along with proof of purchase and they will send me a brand new one or refurbish my Old one "I think" (Thank you for contacting Huawei Device Support USA.
The technical support department phone number is 1-888-548-2934 .)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@theK135
I feel I have to apologize, even though I never posted my initial thoughts re:your thread. Until you said,"Yeah, I would buy that from Wal-Mart, but I live in Australia.", I was thinking "Why would anyone do that.". Congratulations on keeping your tablet going until you can find a more permanent solution.:)

thek135

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks Spider, it's unbelievably hard to find ANYTHING with the right size plug in Australia, like, I've checked every electronics store near me and there's nothing, I'm gonna end up buying a Magellan Roadmate car charger and connecting the cord from that to a USB plug.

Of course I'm gonna get it off eBay, as I don't think Magellan exists here.

Last edited:

thek135

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks savara, but I have a cheaper option already ready to go for me.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks savara, but I have a cheaper option already ready to go for me.
I'm guessing it's a part from the ignition of a Ford F-150 or something similar. :rolleyes: Glad you found a solution, now you can put the Chupa-Chup stick to some other use. (I've found they're good for tightening screws in worn out screw holes.)

mr2u

May 27, 2011
What are the odds, i have a satalite phone for work and the car charger for it is the same needed for my S7. I must admit that if i have the screen at 100%, 3G, and GPS on as well as Bluetooth on it struggles to charge, takes all day to charge up if its real low (but its not loosing charge). But in stand by mode it will fully charge in about 2 hours