Chromecast Backdrop update makes your TV a better picture frame

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Jonathan Feist October 8, 2014

Google-Chromecast-Backdrop-aa.png

This is the Chromecast update you’ve been waiting for – or, perhaps only a few of you have been waiting for. No, this is not the screen mirroring update, nor does it have anything to do with gaming, Google has simply, yet vastly, improved your artwork options for when you are not actively casting your favorite stuff.

The premise to this Chromecast update, that should be rolling out to you starting now, is that you can now add your own photos into the already awesome rotating screensaver collection. Google calls it Backdrop and has added not one, but five new sources of imagery to grace your television screen.

• Pull in your favorite photo albums from Google+
  • Tap into the Google Cultural Institute for artwork from galleries and museums around the world
  • U.S. users can take a look at news and lifestyle images from New York Times, The Guardian and more
  • Google Maps is here to play, check out satellite imagery of cool places around the globe
  • More beautiful photos from Google+, besides those specific albums you chose above
Google-Chromecast-Backdrop-TV.gif

Once the update hits your Chromecast and Android device, head into the Chromecast app in your handset to find the Backdrop option in the left menu.

Best of all, with all of these new image sources, you have two great ways to learn more about the image on screen. The Chromecast app will provide a card with info on the currently displayed image, better yet, use everyone’s favorite search companion, Google Now, and simply ask “what’s on my Chromecast?”

If you don’t have it already, the Google Chromecast is one of the best media streaming devices around for just $35, or less if you look for the deals. Then, grab the Chromecast app from the Google Play Store to get started. Don’t forget to check for promotions in app, Google has been giving away Google Play Music All Access and Hulu Plus access to most Chromecast owners.

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for sharing Spider.. I am waiting for FedX to deliver my Chromecast, Roku and a new DD-WRT 802.11 AC router....
My new toys will fill the 1 hour a day when I am off the boards.....lol

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
My new toys will fill the 1 hour a day when I am off the boards.....lol

You're gonna love it. With all the updates to the app and the device itself, you can mirror everything to the TV, not just a few select apps..