CM7 Local Video Playback with Hardware Acceleration

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I finally got hardware acceleration to work for my my mp4 videos from my Home Theatre PC. I used VideoRedo TVSuite to convert Over The Air, 1080i MPEG 2, and Comcast encrypted channels, 1080i MPEG 4 to mp4 nook files playable with hardware acceleration on the default video player. This program makes it easy to remove commercials as well. I use 4 OTA tuners and an HDPVR for comcast encrypted channels.

If I use the VideoRedo's Droid profile, its 848x480 setting will playback by various video players using software codecs on my android cm7 ROMS. This profile does not allow hardware acceleration. When I change the Droid Profile from a Level 3.1 to a Level 3.0 it then allows an output maximum size of 768x448 with hardware acceleration for our nook. I save this new profile as Color Nook. During hardware playback the 768x448 scales to full size. It is in sync and with no micro blocking during playback in the default movie player. The video seem perfect to me. It works with hardware acceleration in other players as well.

Edit: I did three modifications. Level 3.1 to Level 3.0. Size 768x432 to preserve 16:9 ratio. Set Max Bitrate at 1500 Kbps. Video upscales perfectly in default Movies video player. Works perfectly in other video players with hardware acceleration set to on.

See additional discussion at

xda-developers - [ROM][April 2 2011] >>>>> phiremod nook V5.3 <<<<< OC Kernel | CM7 RC4 Base

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
very cool - thanks for posting it

I should have mentioned VideoRedo TVSuite works with most MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 sources. I added more details in the opening page as well.

This same hardware acceleration should apply to stock 2.1, rooted 2.1 and 2.2 ROMS as well. I was miss-taking software codec playback for hardware playback. Hardware playback with these ROMs would need to use these settings as well. I would have to return to these ROMs to verify. Anybody else miss-take software codec playback with various other players for hardware playback?

For more info about VideoRedo TVSuite see link below, the second convert option for portable devices is what we want. With the slight modification discussed in this thread's opening page, it works great for us too!

http://www.videoredo.com/en/ProductTVS.htm

Last edited: