Coby 7033 - from Stock to Root, Firmware Dump, and Hopefully CWM

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Firmware dump is most important to me on this one. I realize it's quite a challenge to root, get a dump, and have CWM up and running on this particular model, as well as the 7035. In fact, I don't know as it's been done yet on the 7033.(warm smilz) At the very least, it would be nice to be able to contribute a decent firmware dump for the repository.(Hopefully that may help some others that run into trouble, and need a forgotten/misplaced recovery option.)

I know this ViMicro A8 Cortex is an "ODDBALL" chip, but if it can be done on other chipsets, there must be a way to overcome these as well.

I'm thinking - 1st off, try to get # root by means of the method used for the 7035. If that's successful, then create a firmware dump. All goes well, then onto CWM. Main objective for me since I notice there's no other dump for others is to get a working dump. Not even worried about gapps at this point. What are your thoughts or advice on the subject? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Well, we're all busy these days, but I'm in no rush on this one. Have a good day and hope to see some constructive input.(smilz)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mid9740, mid7036 - (both) rooted/CWM/gapps with Traveller1's Utilities, and Vampirefo's CWM & gapps
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other - Any news on what's up with COBY USA? The Gordon Bros. bought up all the patents/assets/etc., but are they going to really rebuild COBY, or just sell all the proceeds off? Give me your 2 cents worth.

Have a GOOD one then!(warm smilz)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There are several problems with 7033 and such tablets, one I don't have this tablet so I can't make a recovery for it.
Second there isn't any dumps and root method isn't well documented.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Well, so far I was able to get root. And after reading posts on this/that/few other forums.
The file system on this thing is... well, wish I had a ten foot pole!LOL AND THEN SOME!!!:p
Main thing is, I just hope to find a way to help some other folks with 7033 bricks laying around. Will keep at it, as time permits. Thanks!

Todd S

Here's a link to what I have so far. Link: MID7033 dump
So far, it's a confirmed as "good", ROM dump.
Thanks to:

Reynzard, for his "Coby Kyros MID-7035-4 Root Instructions" found - HERE.

Folken, for ALL his work and posts concerning the mid7035. His posts can be found - HERE.

and

Vampirefo, for his knowledge, patience, and guidance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No custom CWM recovery as of yet. But we are DEFINITELY trying to come up with something.

There is presently a method using Vampirefo's "fake recovery", that you can use in the mean time, if you care to try. Info can be found - here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for "gapps" on the mid7033, check the
[h=1]Coby Generation 3 Development - Stickys.[/h]

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
If you have a Coby MID7033 that's been sitting gathering dust sitting in a corner etc, because it's stuck in a bootloop/bricked, you might want to pull it out, and dust it off. Then be ready. Check out this thread:

[h=1]Thread: AMLogic Tablets, 7033, 7035, 7065, 7060, and So On: Repair Tablet from SD Card[/h]
Thread number #142!!! Be patient, because Vampirefo.'s working diligently and devoting A LOT of his precious time to helping you with your otherwise dead tabs!(warm smilz)