Coby Kyros MID7033 - SD Card (Internal) Not Detected

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
Hi, i receive this tablet (a gift) like a 2 months.

resistive screen 7'' - Vimicro cortex A8 1 ghz (VC882)- 512 ram - 4gb memory (no sd card introduced)

And have a big problem, the INTERNAL MEMORY is not detected by the tablet and by the PC too,
when i go to settings > storage, the aplication is closed and prompt a error message (FC).

i cant access to the content by a explorer like ES, when i try this a message tell me:

"sdcard is unmounted or not present"

In the gallery i cant view/add/etc. images. Buuut the tablet allow me to install apps from GETJAR market, this is a included market with the tablet...
i can install apps from a pendrive + usb otg cable, but i cant download anything like images, audio, videos, apps, etc

How i can fix this? I'm going crazy, please help me

(note: my english not is so good, i speak spanish and google help me so much to translate this texts, sorry for the grammar)

UPDATED!!! (26-03-2014)

Hi folks! i back with good news to fix this problem if you have too :cool:
Well i search a lot how fix that but without result.
My solution for this problem is edit the vold.fstab file and create a folder inside of ext-card to emulate the internal sdcard.

this is the original vold.fstab content for Coby Kyros MID7033:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/loop0 /nfdisk/fat.bin
dev_mount external_sd /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/v8-sdio.0/mmc_host/mmc1

#dev_mount idisk /mnt/idisk 1 /devices/platform/v8-sdio.2/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/vc088x-ehci/usb1 /devices/platform/vc088x-ohci/usb2 /devices/platform/musb-hdrc/usb3

and this is MY FIXED VOLD.FSTAB:

dev_mount external_sd /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/v8-sdio.2/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/v8.sdio.0/mmc_host/mmc1

dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/vc088x-ehci/usb1 /devices/platform/vc088x-ohci/usb2 /devices/platform/musb-hdrc/usb3

This vold invert the memorys, i mean sdcard now is ext_card, and ext_card is sdcard. With this u have a sdcard more bigger to install heavy apps and u can see the two storages in "settings"

Very important!
  • Need Root access to edit system files
so root with SRSroot using ALL METHODS button, that work for me.

• Need a SDCARD plugged in on tablet to make this work!
First plug the SDcard in a PC and create a folder named "external_sd"
DONT DELETE THIS FOLDER!
(if you delete this folder, you lost external sd)

Then put again the SD on your tablet.

• vold.fstab can be founded at /system/etc/vold.fstab.
Edit this file with root explorer, Or use ADB commands if you know hot to.
Give RW-R--R-- permissions to the vold.fstab file and reboot.

i hope this fix that problem!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The translation came out ok. I could understand you.

We need some more details. Did you root the tablet and did you modify any of the system files after rooting? Tell us what you did to get you to this point.

Spanish:
La traducción salió bien. Yo podría entender.

Tenemos algunos detalles más. ¿Te erradicar la tableta y se modifica alguno de los archivos del sistema después de enraizamiento? Cuéntenos lo que hizo para llegar a este punto.

samirnge

Mar 31, 2013
The translation came out ok. I could understand you.We need some more details. Did you root the tablet and did you modify any of the system files after rooting? Tell us what you did to get you to this point.Spanish:La traducción salió bien. Yo podría entender.Tenemos algunos detalles más. ¿Te erradicar la tableta y se modifica alguno de los archivos del sistema después de enraizamiento? Cuéntenos lo que hizo para llegar a este punto.
That spanish is not too good, the real translation :Necesitamos mas detalles, rooteaste la tablet y modificaste algun archivo del sistema, Dinos que hiciste para llegar a este punto.PS: I thinks that is the problem, i was having the same problem, ask for a new one and only install an "update.zip" without modify the system, and until now no problems

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
thanks for answer, well no, i never root the tablet, i never modify anything from system, the problem just appear after i do the factory reset, and i do that because is the tablet of my girlfriend and she gift me, so i do the factory reset to have a ''fresh system'' to use, and maybe that is my worst error :(

when i connect the tablet to pc and press the button ''activate usb storage'', the icon just still spin and the tablet dont do nothing.

if u want i can pull some files from tablet by adb connection and post here, like vold.fstab or build.prop, because i read (in others threads) maybe i have problems there...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@samirnge: I don't speak Spanish though to an extent I understand it back from when I was in high school. The translation came courtesy of Google, so if you can improve the translation, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. ;)

@SeniorM: If the tablet isn't rooted, you may have a hardware issue. But please do pull vold.fstab and your build.prop and post them so they can be eliminated as the source of the problem.

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
ok thanks for your help, and this is the vold.fstab content

VOLD.FSTAB
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat ([email protected])
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specifoåf device
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/loop0 /nfdisk/fat.bin

dev_mount external_sd /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/v8-sdio.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That vold.fstab appears to be correct, which leads me to believe you have a hardware issue with the MicroSD card slot.

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
sorry i forget pull the build.prop file

well, the tablet dont have sd card plugged in in the cardslot, i mean, just have the internal memory.
i disassemble the device and I see no memory card, just chips XD, i try disassemble to remove the sdcard and format by a pc soft, but for my sorprise, no card inside :(

do u know how flash ( or upgrade or something like that ) this tablet, maybe doing that i can repair this problem.

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
this is the BUILD.PROP CONTENT

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=IML74K
ro.build.display.id=IML74K 20120420.112303
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.timy.20120420.112303
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.build.date=Fri Apr 20 11:24:42 CST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=1334892282
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=timy
ro.build.host=urbetter-linux4
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=MID7033
ro.product.brand=generic
ro.product.name=MID7033
ro.product.device=vortex
ro.product.board=
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=vc882
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=vortex
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=MID Serials 4.0.3 IML74K eng.timy.20120420.112303
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/MID7033/vortex:4.0.3/IML74K/eng.timy.20120420.112303:user/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties
ro.opengles.version = 131072
#
# system.prop for vc882
#
#
# system.prop for generic sdk
#

ifeq ($(BOARD_USES_VIDEO_RGB888),true)
ro.sf.lcd_density=120
endif

#add by liao for default language and timezone
persist.sys.timezone=America/New_York
persist.sys.language=en
persist.sys.country=US

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
#ro.sf.lcd_density=120
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ok, it's been a long day in the real world, and it only hit me now that the solution to your issue is insanely simple.

Devices running Android 4.x have two storage spots. The first, /mnt/sdcard, is soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be removed. Thus if you disassemble the tablet looking for it, you won't find it. The second, /mnt/extsd, is the MicroSD card slot.

/mnt/sdcard is where applications store their stuff.
/mnt/extsd is where you store your stuff.

By default /mnt/sdcard is set to only allow the system and applications to write to the space in order to store system settings and configuration files. Your access is limited to reading and executing files.

/mnt/extsd on the other hand is where the user stores all their paraphernalia; apps, pictures, documents, music, etc. Both you and the system have full access to the card and are able to do anything to it, including delete all the files on it.

You cannot store your stuff on /mnt/sdcard as you do not have permission from the system to write to the space, even when rooted. Your stuff MUST be stored on /mnt/extsd. Therefore, the solution to your issue is purchasing a MicroSD card.

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
mmm, thanks for answer dude. i have a microsd card, and when i plugged in on tablet, i cant see nothing. SDCARD NOT DETECTED OR UNMOUNTED -.- (4gb sd card - fat32 format)

before this problem appears, i can open some folders like "mnt/sdcard" and view content like ".android" folder and the other folders created by apps. But not now...

anyway i keep searching some solutions, thanks for all!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Don't search for solutions. Just get the tablet exchanged, because this is sounding more and more like a hardware problem, not software.

SeniorM

Apr 2, 2013
oh god so great, I have so much luck ... the warranty expired like a month ago -.-

kingslandga

Dec 29, 2013
The reset button is located close to the Mic.
Hi, i receive this tablet (a gift) like a 2 months.

resistive screen 7'' - Vimicro cortex A8 1 ghz (VC882)- 512 ram - 4gb memory (no sd card introduced)

And have a big problem, the INTERNAL MEMORY is not detected by the tablet and by the PC too,
when i go to settings > storage, the aplication is closed and prompt a error message (FC).

i cant access to the content by a explorer like ES, when i try this a message tell me:

"sdcard is unmounted or not present"

In the gallery i cant view/add/etc. images. Buuut the tablet allow me to install apps from GETJAR market, this is a included market with the tablet...
i can install apps from a pendrive + usb otg cable, but i cant download anything like images, audio, videos, apps, etc

How i can fix this? I'm going crazy, please help me

(note: my english not is so good, i speak spanish and google help me so much to translate this texts, sorry for the grammar)