Coby Kyros MID8048 Screen Calibration

OldGold

Sep 17, 2014
I bought a Coby Kyros MID8048 8" tablet. It was great. I bought 3 more!

My screen is out of calibration and for the life of me I CANNOT remember how to get to the screen calibration utility! Can someone help me?

I've searched the internet extensively and find threads where people are talking ABOUT the problem and what they do -inside- the app, but nowhere does anyone say HOW to get into the app!

Please help! And thanks!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi OldGold, congratulations on your Coby 8048 tablets and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Coby Generation 3 forum for you, where more people familiar with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

OldGold

Sep 17, 2014
Hi OldGold, congratulations on your Coby 8048 tablets and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Coby Generation 3 forum for you, where more people familiar with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!
Thanks for the assist!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a calibration utility for the capacitive screens of the Generation 3 tablets. My Dell Streak has one as part of the stock recovery, but I've never had to use it. There are apps on the Play Store that can test a capacitive screen, but none I've seen to calibrate it.

For the record, the 8048 uses a capacitive screen, so the only real advice I can give you is to clean the screen and try again. If that doesn't help, a factory reset may be required, but no guarantee that it will work.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but unlike the older resistive screen technology used in Generation 1, 2, and some uncommon Generation 3 devices such as the 7030 and 7032, capacitive screens register the change in voltage of the touchscreen surface. The screen driver calculates X and Y values for the touch using that change in voltage as a reference. Resistive touchscreens actually function in a similar manner to a modern keyboard, in that the top layer of plastic physically makes a connection with the bottom layer and completes a circuit. Resistive touchscreens require a calibration utility to send a baseline X and Y value for touches to the driver. This is why you usually have to touch all four corners of the screen when calibrating the screen.

OldGold

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for the info. Yes, I know how they work. I'm a techie geek from way back.

I'm not looking for an external utility. I'm trying to find the one that is a built in app. I used it once when I bought the tablet but I cannot find it any more. I know it is there and CAN be reached, but I can't find the path through the menu tree to reach the calibration utility.

I've used it. It exists, and it is a built in app. I just cannot find it! I need someone to guide me back to it, and THIS time I will make note of where to find it!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're not on a custom ROM, resetting to factory settings should allow you to access said utility. If you find it, I'd like to know what app it is, because both of the 9742s in my house are missing it.