Connecting a digital SLR to the TF700 - help needed !

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
I need to connect my DSLR to my TF700
, so that I can use the pad as a "monitor", rendering what I see in the camera rear monitor to the screen of the pad itself.

I have in the past made such a connection via the mini HDMI port of the camera to my HDTV and that worked great.
Now, I am trying to find a way to do the same thing with the TF.

It is like having a huge rear monitor (for the camera) but it would be great if I could do the same with the TF itself.

Has anyone tried to do that yet?
What is required as far as cabling is concerned? Micro HDMI (pad) to mini HDMI (camera) ?
Will the pad recognize the camera? Any special configuring to do?

I also have the docking keyboard and that of course includes a USB port.
Is there anything this USB can do as far as photography equipment is concerned?
Can the camera be hooked up to the USB of the pad and doing something more than just showing the SD card in the camera?

Thanks !

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There was an extensive discussion about doing that, on a sister Android forum and the general consensus is that there is no way to get that to work the way you are describing it. The problem is that Android tablets have outputs but no way to input from another device that isn't mass storage, like a flash drive or hard disk. Using USB some people have managed to be able to see the internal memory of some cameras but even that is iffy.

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
There was an extensive discussion about doing that, on a sister Android forum and the general consensus is that there is no way to get that to work the way you are describing it. The problem is that Android tablets have outputs but no way to input from another device that isn't mass storage, like a flash drive or hard disk. Using USB some people have managed to be able to see the internal memory of some cameras but even that is iffy.

Thanks leeshor!

That's just too bad as I was hoping to make this work in order to avoid buying yet another expensive toy: a dedicated external monitor for the camera.
Maybe one day??

Cheers!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks leeshor!

That's just too bad as I was hoping to make this work in order to avoid buying yet another expensive toy: a dedicated external monitor for the camera.
Maybe one day??

Cheers!

A photographer customer of mine is using his TF with the SD cards from the camera to check the shots before leaving the scene. It's working pretty well for him. I know that's not a big help for what you need, but thought I'd add my .02

TheMarkster

Dec 12, 2012
Something that might would work would be to use one of those usb video capture devices going through the dock, but there problem aren't any drivers available for any of them. The problem is most tablets don't have usb host ports, so not much driver development has been done in that area.