Considering Note 10.1, but...

beer__shark

Jan 28, 2013
Hi, I'm considering getting a Note 10.1, but I have a few questions first that hopefully someone here can help with. I'm a graduate economics student, and I fillup a lot of note pads with math, graphs, and all that stuff, both during class and on my own time. How is it for note taking during class? Does it scroll quickly? Are corrections easy to make? I ask because I read a review which seemed to indicate otherwise. Next, I know there is an intended Note 8.0 expected soon. How do you all feel about the size of the tablet? Would 8.0 work for you or is the 10.1 what you need. Also, anyone have any thoughts on a price drop or Samsung releasing a newer tablet with S pen type capability? Lastly, anyone have any experience with refurbished products? I see Best Buy offers a refurbished 16gb Note for $400 with a 90 day warranty. Anyone have any experience what that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hi, I'm considering getting a Note 10.1, but I have a few questions first that hopefully someone here can help with. I'm a graduate economics student, and I fillup a lot of note pads with math, graphs, and all that stuff, both during class and on my own time. How is it for note taking during class? Does it scroll quickly? Are corrections easy to make? I ask because I read a review which seemed to indicate otherwise. Next, I know there is an intended Note 8.0 expected soon. How do you all feel about the size of the tablet? Would 8.0 work for you or is the 10.1 what you need. Also, anyone have any thoughts on a price drop or Samsung releasing a newer tablet with S pen type capability? Lastly, anyone have any experience with refurbished products? I see Best Buy offers a refurbished 16gb Note for $400 with a 90 day warranty. Anyone have any experience what that. Thanks in advance for any help.

You may actually find the Note 10.1 to be more than useful, with the ability in S Note to recognize and solve handwritten equations among other things. There really is no other comparable device for note taking in general. I used to use a livescribe pen that captured text, drawings and voice, and it works great but the Note 10.1 will do this and more with greater convenience. The handwriting recognition alone would sell me on this. On top of that, I use a BT keyboard with the included Office app, taking advantage of the dual view (or cascading) multitasking to reference my notes while I work on my projects.
I really like the idea of an 8" Note but don't think the screen size would allow me the visual comfort of the 10.1. On a final note I have seen the 16gig, new, at Costco for close to $400. Nothing against refurbished but $400 doesn't seem like a great discount.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

beer__shark

Jan 28, 2013
Perhaps you can answer one other question for me as well, how does the 10.1, or any of its note apps, react to Matrix algebra? That is, is there any app, or setting in an app that would allow it to read and recognize that I was writing in matrix notation? I've seen references to the notes math formula thing, but im wondering how it would respond if I were trying to use matrices. Thanks.

Paperless

Dec 20, 2012
I googled android matrix algebra and got several hits. You might try it and see if anything interests you.

As far as note taking, practice will make the Note a very useful tool for you.

beer__shark

Jan 28, 2013
Well, I bought one, and so far I really like what I see. It does seem to provide the features I need. So, any suggestions on note taking apps? S note and Lecture notes seem pretty popular. Heres a question, I imported a pdf to s note, now I want to view and edit that pdf and at the same time have another "clean" note book open. Is there somewy to use the splitscreen for two s notebooks? I haven't come across one yet.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If it is merely editing a PDF, I use the paid version of ezPDF Reader. It allows you to scribble notes and such on PDF documents, add text boxes. I am not sure if this will fit your needs, but you could run this in one window and S Note in the other window.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You can have the PDF open in Polaris Office and have S Note open in dual view which may work for you.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This is a very good screen, wide viewing angles, bright with great adjustable color saturation.