Cruz R103 reader

Idahogirl

Jan 22, 2011
I got this 5 days ago and it has given me a headache ever since! I have been tempted many time to just return it.
I have a few books that are in PDF I was finally able to get them on the reader into my book folder but i would love to have them in a library with the book cover is there an app to download to do this? I currently have Aldiko but I cant get books into it, that I have downloaded. I also have calibre and tried to convert them to epub but still no luck. I am really lost and dont understand all the technical stuff so if someone could please help!!

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
There's a way on aldiko to do it.
I'm not sure If it reads pdfs but it definitely can import epubs.

Put the .epub file into your /ebooks/import/ folder.
From there open up aldiko and press menu, then import.

It won't work with drm protected ebooks, though.

Otherwise other apps for reading ebooks:
.epub = Cool Reader
.pdf = Adobe Reader

Sent from my Droid2Global using Android Tablet Forum App

Idahogirl

Jan 22, 2011
I followed your directions with no luck! Thanks anyway!! I guess reading in pdf isnt so bad but every time I go out of my book and reopen it I have to remember what page I left off on I would rather it just open where I left off. I just dont understand why I cant get them in aldiko I get an error "File type epub not found" but its suppose to support epub.:confused:

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
If your ebook PDFs are protected, Calibre will not convert them. Epub is fast becoming the standard. Even Sony switched to that format, which really surprised me... Sony is rather well known for it's proprietary habits.

Ami

Jan 24, 2011
Hi! (I'm new and I'll post my introduction in the proper place soon), I am getting a Cruz Reader soon, too. I can't answer your main question but I CAN tell you how to use Calibre to convert DRM protected ebooks. All you need to do is download a certain plugin for it called "K4mobildedrm" or something like that. I have it and I uploaded to MyUploads.org so if you want you can get from me at http://www.myupload.org/files/hxlvl2ed4ctzk7mjdldb.zip (The file name was changed when I uploaded it, of course, but it started out as K4MobiDeDrm! I have a few more plugins for Calibre that are very nice, but this one is my favourite and the most useful in my opinion.

All you need to do, after you unzipped the file of course and saved it somewhere (Also, a good habit to get into when you download ANYTHING is run it through a virus checker! I promise not to be offended if you do this, after all I know you don't know me from Adam and Eve and I also know that my word on the internet is about as good as onion peelings so scan check EVERYTHING!), Anyway as I was saying the next thing you do is open up Calibre, click on "Preferences" then click "plugins" and then "add new plugin" then find where you saved the file, click it, a box will pop up warning you about what your doing, ignore it or click "yes" and then go convert all the drm-protected ebooks to your heart's content. Sorry I can't help with the other problem. Maybe after I get my own Cruz reader I'll be a bit more forthcoming after having done more research.

Happy reading!

~Ami

Last edited:

Oldmartian

Jan 26, 2011
Hi! (I'm new and I'll post my introduction in the proper place soon), I am getting a Cruz Reader soon, too. I can't answer your main question but I CAN tell you how to use Calibre to convert DRM protected ebooks. All you need to do is download a certain plugin for it called "K4mobildedrm" or something like that. I have it and I uploaded to MyUploads.org so if you want you can get from me at http://www.myupload.org/files/hxlvl2ed4ctzk7mjdldb.zip (The file name was changed when I uploaded it, of course, but it started out as K4MobiDeDrm! I have a few more plugins for Calibre that are very nice, but this one is my favourite and the most useful in my opinion.

All you need to do, after you unzipped the file of course and saved it somewhere (Also, a good habit to get into when you download ANYTHING is run it through a virus checker! I promise not to be offended if you do this, after all I know you don't know me from Adam and Eve and I also know that my word on the internet is about as good as onion peelings so scan check EVERYTHING!), Anyway as I was saying the next thing you do is open up Calibre, click on "Preferences" then click "plugins" and then "add new plugin" then find where you saved the file, click it, a box will pop up warning you about what your doing, ignore it or click "yes" and then go convert all the drm-protected ebooks to your heart's content. Sorry I can't help with the other problem. Maybe after I get my own Cruz reader I'll be a bit more forthcoming after having done more research.

Happy reading!

~Ami

me at http://www.myupload.org/files/hxlvl2ed4ctzk7mjdldb.zip (The file name was changed when I uploaded it, of course, but it started out as K4MobiDeDrm! I have a few more plugins for Calibre that are very nice, but this one is my favourite and the most useful in my opinion.

Anyway as I was saying the next thing you do is open up Calibre, click on "Preferences" then click "plugins" and then "add new plugin" then find where you saved the file, click it, a box will pop up warning you about what your doing, ignore it or click "yes" and then go convert all the drm-protected ebooks to your heart's content. Sorry I can't help with the other problem.

I must have done something wrong. I renamed the file from hxlvl2ed4ctzk7mjdldb.zip to K4MobiDeDrm.zip and followed your instructions but I did not get a warning and got no error. Calibre still gives a DRM error. Somehow I don't think the plugin "added." Does it show up in one of the categories, like "Conversion Output plugins" for example? Perhaps it is not "Enabled?" What is the name of the plugin? Does it have it's own Category name? Thanks friend.
OM

(Sorry this is posted so often. It's always appearing where I don't want it...

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
Trying to figure this out myself... when you go to add the plugin, all it will show is .zip files, it doesn't want the extracted files... would love to be able to make this work... any help out there?

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
I must have done something wrong. I renamed the file from hxlvl2ed4ctzk7mjdldb.zip to K4MobiDeDrm.zip and followed your instructions but I did not get a warning and got no error. Calibre still gives a DRM error. Somehow I don't think the plugin "added." Does it show up in one of the categories, like "Conversion Output plugins" for example? Perhaps it is not "Enabled?" What is the name of the plugin? Does it have it's own Category name? Thanks friend.
OM

(Sorry this is posted so often. It's always appearing where I don't want it...

Ok.... I got it to install, you need to make sure you have the very newest version of Calibre. Once I did that, it installed fine. I have yet to try it out but it did install!

EDIT: While the plugin did install, it still does not convert any of my DRM ebooks from my Sony reader so that I can use them on my Android or anything else. I still get the message that "this is DRM protected content" and it will not remove the DRM. I do fully understand the need for DRM protection, however it kinda ticks me off that I HAVE PAID for these books, yet cannot read them in any manner I choose!

Sony DID just release an app to allow you to read on other platforms, including Android, however my reader is the R101 and does not that 2.2, it is only 2.1. The Sony app requires 2.2... so I am out of luck except for my installation on my Motodroid cell phone.

Last edited: