Custom Android 2.2 OS & Tablet Upgrade

Feb 28, 2011
Good morning! I have searched on this forum for awhile and was unable to find answers to my questions and was hoping someone would take a minute and help me out.

I understand that the Kernel houses the drivers and the ROM is the GUI & applications. Does that mean that it's possible to take a 2.1 tablet and somehow siphon out the Kernel and then use the 2.2 SDK to write a custom 2.2 OS using the existing Kernel?

I'm looking to code a completely custom Android tablet experience but I'm not sure what all is required and how far Android can be customized?

Is it realistically possible to create a completely custom tablet that powers on to a specific application without any options to exit the program? Basically a locked down tablet only for using the browser or a specific application that I select?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ethan

ngoddard

Jan 18, 2012
Hi Ethan,

did you get any responses or find anything out about this? I have the same question.

Nigel

Good morning! I have searched on this forum for awhile and was unable to find answers to my questions and was hoping someone would take a minute and help me out.

I understand that the Kernel houses the drivers and the ROM is the GUI & applications. Does that mean that it's possible to take a 2.1 tablet and somehow siphon out the Kernel and then use the 2.2 SDK to write a custom 2.2 OS using the existing Kernel?

I'm looking to code a completely custom Android tablet experience but I'm not sure what all is required and how far Android can be customized?

Is it realistically possible to create a completely custom tablet that powers on to a specific application without any options to exit the program? Basically a locked down tablet only for using the browser or a specific application that I select?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ethan