Default Browser "missing" & Chrome no longer showing saved Mobile Bookmarks

throwingrocks

Jun 4, 2014
Good morning.

I have two issues which have gone from minor and annoying to frustrating overnight. The first is a loss of the default browser - I can't seem to find traces of it anywhere in the system now. My thought is that when my daughter was playing with it, she accidentally hit the "Uninstall" button. (If it had one; being a part of the default programs, maybe it doesn't have one and there's something else at play here) I would very much like to reinstall it, hopefully with a return of the bookmarks I had in it.

The second is Chrome - last night my tablet updated (I'm not sure what was going on, I only noticed it because it was 4am EST and I had just spent an hour trying to soothe my daughter back to sleep. I'm afraid I took the "Whatever, just get done." line at the time. All I know for certain was that 15 things were updated and it seemed to imply that "android" was being updated) and since then all my Chrome bookmarks are gone. Also my other programs seem to be crashing regularly; my 2048 program (silly little matching numbers game) won't open, the Play Store crashes half the time, Gmail is constantly saying it's crashed even though I don't use Gmail on the table, etc. I haven't gone through all of the programs I've installed, but when I try to use the Sync option a third of the programs on there (like Twitter, Kobo, Skype and Gmail again) all say they've stopped. (There is also the "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." error message.)

Another error from a game called "Fun Easy Learn Francais" says "ERROR: An unexpected error occured.android.database.sqlite. SQLiteCantOpenDatabaseException: unable to open database file". I'm including it in case this helps - it's the only error message I've gotten so far that actually has more detailed information.

Is there any way to fix the browser issues first and foremost, without having to reset the tablet to factory defaults and reinstall everything? And do any of the other issues I've mentioned help in diagnosing any potential problems?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Some of what you explained sounds like you have somehow lost your Internet connection. I would start off by restarting your tablet as you didn't mention you had done that. Then check to see if you are in fact connected. If you are, the default browser may be hiding in the app drawer. It can't really be uninstalled but the icon could have been removed from the desktop.

throwingrocks

Jun 4, 2014
Thanks for reminding me about the app drawer; I looked at it before and didn't see Browser in there, but I just double checked and for some reason Browser was at the bottom of the list instead of in alphabetical order, like the rest of the programs were. I must not have scrolled down to the bottom the last time I looked.

I am connected, and I've restarted several times - once with the reset button, the rest with just holding the power, shutting down then turning it back on. The connection has been consistent the entire time and I am able to browse the net with most of the programs that require it (Chrome, some newspaper apps, some poker apps, Yahoomail and YouTube in particular). I've even uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome as a post I read said that might be a way to get the tablet to bring back the bookmarks, but no luck.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Sort order can be changed in the app drawer. It may just need a refresh. Is Chrome syncing with your desktop version?

I have 2 suggestion for all your "other" problems. It would seem that you got an update to the Android OS which in many cases can mess things up even further if your system was gummed up when it got installed. For thee apps you are having crash problems with go to ther app manager in settings and scroll to all. Find the app and tap it - tell it to clear the cache - force stop and restart. Do that for each of those apps. If in the 3rd or 4th app you still have not made any progress try this app for general cache cleaning. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleanmaster.mguard

If you are still having problems after all that the factory reset may be your best/only option.