Default MP3 Player & More

caltrop

Jun 25, 2013
My first tablet & I'm about ready to throw it thru the wall!

The stock MP3 Player was horid so I downloaded a better one. I know about setting defaults. But the stock player did an auto-update and now it's the only one the system recognizes. The culprit is Google Play Music.

I can still start up my fav player but clicking on an MP3 only does Google, no choices offered & LAUNCH BY DEFAULT is clear.

Then text editing is flaky. The cursor randomly jumps to different lines.

I'm sure it's this new Android 4.1 OS & Google Play Music.
I'm NOT impressed with this Hi-Tech CRAP! :mad:

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Go to Settings > Apps, find Google Play Music and tap on it. Scroll down to the Clear Defaults button and press it to restore the option to choose what to use.

As a Google Play Music user, I recommend doing all your tag editing on the PC. It's less painful.

caltrop

Jun 25, 2013
LIKE I SAID IT IS ALL CLEAR AND IT IS STILL THE DEFAULT PLAYER!!!
Short of doing a factory reset there's nothing you can do. And if Google Play updates it will all be messed up again.

The NEW Google Play Music update hijacked the system and there is nothing you can doo about it.

That and the NEW JELLYBEAN ANDROID 4.1 S-U-C-K-S-!
There are a lot more issues than hijacked MP3's.
Juat about ready to take the damn thing back for a refund!

caltrop

Jun 25, 2013
And this site is not totally compatible with a wireless keyboard. For example I can not login or search with the keyboard but have to use the glitchy JELLYBEAN ANDROID 4.1 KEYBOARD.

Looking forward for more GLITCHY updates from GOOGLE, yeah...

GOD the screen jumps all over the place using the touch screen keyboard. This S-U-C-K-S-!

Continuing this in this thread:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/jellybean/59188-jellybean-sucks.html

Last edited:

caltrop

Jun 25, 2013
I have a brand new Asus Memo Pad Smart with Android JellyBean 4.1.1 & it SUCKS!

1) touch screen keyboard jumps all over especially here; got a wireless keyboard but some entry fields are tablet only; can'edit this fourm with the touchscreen keyboard

2) lots of apps do not work right; firefox browser add-ons do not work; many other apps I have tried had to be uninstalled

3) Google Play Music latest update makes itseld the default MP3 player and you can not change it

4) when bluetooth is on & the tablet is plugged in the battery drains, not charging as it should

5) 0% battery notification sometimes shows when battery is fully charged

6) sometimes the micro-sd card has to be reinserted for notification to be right
But I have my laptop for real computing and this NEW TABLET CRAP will do for internet and my ebooks.

7) browser sometimes closes for no reason

8) ASUS audio controls not available using any BlueTooth device

9) can only access sdcard (rooot dir) with link to WinXP as an audio device; so any xfr has to be copied there; use a micro-sd card

10) that same Google Play Music update wiped out my Calendar

11) email - in a new email click on the happy face with the + and - CRASH!

12) ? what's next ?

GAAACK!

Google has really screwed themselves with JellyBean.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Hmmm,

Sounds strange. I love Jelly Bean. Firefox (and most add-ons) works great for me. My touchscreen keyboard works just fine. I am pretty sure you can clear the defaults of the stock music player (Settings - Apps - All - Play Music (or Google Play Music) - Clear Defaults)

I have not played with any of the MeMO pads, but have not heard that much bad about them.

I would honestly try a factory data reset and wipe it and start over.

caltrop

Jun 25, 2013
NOPE! The clear defaults shows cleared.

It was the Google Play Music update that just happened that diid it. Things were fine until that event.

I do not see a factory reset doing anything because when Google updates it will be the same.

Hopefully a later system update will fix things.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I agree that the factory update wont fix the Play Music issue, but it may fix the keyboard issue.

Also, for me, when I go to play music on my tablet I open the app I want to use, then hit play. I do not think in 2 years I have ever clicked on an MP3 through the file manager.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I remember when JB came out how pleased most people were with it, and I still am. Most of the people who did have issues had been using apps that had not yet been optimized for JB and some caused serious issues with underlying cache corruptions. A factory reset for those people, (a fraction of the total owners of the tablets) made everything OK again. The big trick in my mind was to install the apps to the reset system in small batches with restarts in between.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@ the OP: Yelling isn't going to get you anywhere with me, and it will not be tolerated. I understand you are having an issue, but if you want assistance you had best learn some manners, and quick. Now, did you bother to check your other music apps to be certain they weren't holding the setting before you decided it was more important to be obnoxious?

By the way, I regularly use Google Music on my devices. Even with Google Play Services installed, the only way Google Music will open an MP3 by default is if the user sets that default. Since Android does not have any defaults set when a tablet is booted for the first time, and since Google Play does nothing but deliver apps, the only possible answer is that you set the default. An easy way to clear that default is to uninstall Google Music, which will wipe out the default along with the app. Then you can download the app again; the default doesn't hitch a ride with it.

Your threads have been merged as they deal with the same topic. If you want to start a new thread asking about how to get the cursor to stop jumping around in Jellybean, feel free to do so. But leave the discussion of your MP3 problems in this thread.

Last edited:

techahead

May 29, 2013
Under the setting menu, and then go to apps, find music player and tap it. You will see data usage, space consumed, a button to force close the app, etc. Scroll down and you will see a button to clear default either above or below the permissions granted to the app.