Does Iconia A3-A10 Support......

Tenshin_76

Aug 28, 2014
Hi everyone,
I recently bought an Iconia A3-A10 and the owners of this model will know that it charges via the micro usb host port, just like a phone (big mistake imo). My question is, does anyone know if this model supports USB OTG charging? I ordered a usb Y cable from eBay that ha a micro usb female port and a normal female usb port and i´d like to know if I have thrown away my money or if this model indeed allows usb charging while pluggin in an otg device with said Y-cable.
Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You ask a question, that no one knows, as most people don't try to charge this way.

sent from my kingSing T1 via taptalk

Tenshin_76

Aug 28, 2014
Right, Y-cable arrived, but tablet only charges when it's switched off. When u try to charge it when turned on, kernel doesn't allow charging+usb on an otg host. So much for that...and btw, on a tablet that charges via the micro usb, nobody has found they need to charge and and simultaneously have usb keyboard plugged in??

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
nobody has found they need to charge and and simultaneously have usb keyboard plugged in??
Why would they? I have a dell venue 8 which is similar to your tablet it's never had a keyboard plugged into it, and never will. it's a tablet if I wanted to use a keyboard I would simply bt, or ummm use a computer, LOL.

Tenshin_76

Aug 28, 2014
So why do they sell so many tablet cases with usb keyboard...? I like to sometimes give the tablet a netbook use with a keyboard, if i want to chat or write reviews online which i do often, it aint so weird buddy, what's more weird is that they build tablets which charge thru the usb port, rendering the usb host useless while charging. We're not only talking keyboards. What if u wanna use a pendrive while charging...? And yeah i have a desktop too, but using a keyboard with a tablet is a lot more popular than u think, LOL

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
but using a keyboard with a tablet is a lot more popular than u think, LOL
Lol, no not really notice only one person in this thread uses a usb keyboard so we can estimate by all the responses less than 1 percent of users use a usb keyboard while charging.

Anyway you answered your own question, when that other person using this tablet wanting to use his/her usb keyboard while charging tablet comes along they will find your response and have their answer also.
So I will thank you on their behave, [emoji2] [emoji2]

Last edited:

Tenshin_76

Aug 28, 2014
Maybe it's because most tablets charge via normal AC jack and very few via the usb and most users have never had this problem. I probably should have looked for a different model that charges by normal AC but for me it's a small issue not being able to use any usb device (there are many more things than keyboards) while tablet is charging. In any case, will search in other forums for the info, thanks for ur help :)

desilynn79

Sep 24, 2014
i use a usb keyboard.... but i dont find i have to charge at the same time... i either use my wall plug with appropriate usb cable or plug to the laptop when needed... i use my tablet at work as the laptop is bulky and i like using a keyboard when i need/ want too... i chose a usb version because of other thing i do via bluetooth at the same time... a bluetooth keyboard will drain as well as the tablet while using... i didnt want that... less battery time just to use a keyboard and have to charge 2 devices instead of one.... no thanks... i love my usb keyboard case.... i dont find i need to charge whilst im using the tablet either unless i have been on it all day or in my case night as i work at a gentlemans club as the housemom... i use my tablet at work so im not bored whist the ladies are dancing and dont need me or help with anything... anyhow... i can however charge in the car whilst on if need be im sure... i havent tried yet but the only reason for that for me would be if im using for gps/ navigation... hope this helps someone... each person has their own preference on things... dont knock their prefernce just because they dont agree.. to each their own... enjoy! i know i for one love this tablet... now if i could just find a working root for kitkat 4.4.2 (already installed) for it that would be dandy!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Desilynn, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets, and nice see you helping others with your first post..

desilynn79

Sep 24, 2014
thanks spider and no problem.. the more devices i get the more i am learning about them... i have been able to help a few with my limited abilities for one that have the same phone as me.... not to bloat my own ego, but i gave them files they needed because links were dead and i was a smart cookie and saved them to my computer ;-)... and now for rooting this darn tablet and id be a happy camper!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
and now for rooting this darn tablet and id be a happy camper!

Check the forum for your tablet to see if there's anything there regarding rooting it. If not, that would be the place to ask for help. Good luck!

Tenshin_76

Aug 28, 2014
Thank you so much for taking your time to respond in a coherent, polite and helpful way. If there´ something I can´t stand is asking a question in a forum and getting a worthless smart-ass reply just because that person doesn´t have the answer to your question.
I see your point and I totally agree, as the Iconia A3 packs a Quad Core 1,2ghz and is very efficient friendly to the 7080 mah battery it holds (mine lasts around 8-9 hrs). However, it is a little inconvenient when you´ve started charging the tablet and you realize you wanna transfer a film to a pendrive, or plug in your usb keyboard to chat or type on the internet. My concern was if anyone knows how to charge AND use a usb device on tablets that charge via the micro-usb port (such as the A3-A10). I saw a sort of device/cable called "+PORT" on some website but not sure if it will really work on this model, as stock Kernel seems to forbid charge+otg simultaneously. I bought a Y-cable off eBay that has a female micro usb and a normal female usb. You plug in the wall charger and plug the other end into tablet port. It begins to charge for like 2 seconds and immediately stops, implying that Kernel allows only one-way. If anyone can offer some more insight into this, it would be very much appreciated because even though battery on this model lasts pretty long, I´m sure someone has stumbled on wanting to use a usb device while it´s charging!
Cheers

desilynn79

Sep 24, 2014
Check the forum for your tablet to see if there's anything there regarding rooting it. If not, that would be the place to ask for help. Good luck!
i have checked and im having troubles... the developer is way slow to reply and be helpful and the thread i found i can post in because i havent made 10 previous posts! which is disappoint to say the least because maybe someone else could help but i dont know who to ask because theres like 390 pages in that thread...