Does it need to be rooted? Fine out of the box?

NeoStar9X

Aug 6, 2010
Been reading up on this tablet and it seems pretty good. I'm curious though if one even needs to root the device? Is it useable and good right out of the box?

Can other markets such as SlideMe be added to it if Google without rooting is out of the question? Other apps that sell games outside of Google's? Always wondered about the last one.

Thanks

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
No, rooting is not required at this time. There is no known recovery option currently available if you brick the tablet. There are no ROM or user fixes available. Rooting at this point is an unnecessary evil :)

Other markets can be installed very easily. You can also use dropbox to add apps to the tablet.

Out of the box it is very useful.

NeoStar9X

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks.

Just ordered one on Amazon.com so hopefully it should be here at least by early next week. Picked up a Cruz Reader before but wasn't happy after several hours so it went back. So this hopefully will be my first android tablet. The price is exactly what I'm looking for and it isn't shipping from overseas which is a massive plus in terms of support and if it needs to be returned.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011

rsnoonan

May 12, 2011
I was able to install market by downloading zip from this forum and using appinstaller. Was able to install all but networklocation.apk. market works fine after reboot. I have also installed Netflix and it is working great!

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
Can other markets such as SlideMe be added to it if Google without rooting is out of the question? Other apps that sell games outside of Google's? Always wondered about the last one.
You can put the Amazon app store on and it easy to install any app that you can get that has the .APK extension (just put on the sd card, navigate to it with the file manager, select it and the file manager will ask if you want to install it).

Regards - John

beastman

May 8, 2011
You can do as you said, but if you already have any apps from the android market, you'll need to buy them again. If you root, you can install the apk already paid for on your new device.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

rsnoonan

May 12, 2011
Got the zip file from gen2 technical section was in thread about market w/o having to root. Market works great and downloaded apps are updating.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum