Ebook reader with mouse

srg555

Jul 11, 2013
I am new to the android community and actually haven't made the jump in as yet. I'm needing a bit of help before I make the commitment.

My wife has advanced multiple sclerosis and spends her days reading. She has difficulty turning the pages of a book and I'd therefore like to move her to ebooks. The problem with all ebook readers that I've looked at is that they require a degree of dexterity to flip the pages that my wife no longer has. What she would be able to do though is hold a mouse (or mouse like device) and click the button to turn the page. My question then is, does anyone know if there are any ebook reader apps available that would enable page turning via a mouse attached to an android tablet?

cpfan

Jul 8, 2013
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" WiFi tablet running Android 4.04. I just plugged in a cheap OTG cable, and my wife's wireless mouse. In very quick testing, the following eReaders worked fine with the mouse...Kindle, Sony, Kobo, and Aldiko. That's all that I have installed on my Tab. Good luck, Steve

srg555

Jul 11, 2013
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" WiFi tablet running Android 4.04. I just plugged in a cheap OTG cable, and my wife's wireless mouse. In very quick testing, the following eReaders worked fine with the mouse...Kindle, Sony, Kobo, and Aldiko. That's all that I have installed on my Tab. Good luck, Steve

Thanks Steve. Very helpful. Is the OTG cable required to plug in the mouse or was that just the easiest way to go from mini/micro USB to standard USB?

cpfan

Jul 8, 2013
I think a Bluetooth mouse would probably work (I don't have one to try that out), so as you suggest, I needed a way to plug a normal USB plug into my Tab. That's an OTG cable.

Steve

srg555

Jul 11, 2013
Can I ask one more question of you Steve (or anyone else who might know)...when using your mouse with the various ebook readers, was it necessary to click on an arrow or something like that to turn pages, or could you click anywhere, with perhaps the right button moving forward and the left button moving backwards.

cpfan

Jul 8, 2013
srg555:

I think that all 4 readers worked the same. Click on the right side to move forward, click on the left to go back. No specific arrows or buttons. Unfortunately, I mostly read on my computer, not the Android portables, and I haven't been using the mouse with the Androids. I've really only read on them in situations where the mouse would be awkward (in the car, waiting rooms).

Steve

Last edited: