ebooks without rooting your coby kyros 7015

blpwrs3

Mar 9, 2011
If you are like me and are a casual user and don't want to chance rooting it and don't have strong need for android market. Then here is a step by step on how to import your ebooks(where ever you get them from) to your coby.
First let me point out I am sure there are different ways, in fact I tried to follow a way I found on this site but it didn't work.

your ebooks need to have a epub extension, so if you need to convert google calibre--its easy and free

you also need a file manager installed on the kyros, I used "file manger"

I am using the reader laputa 3.o version ( again this method might work with other readers I didn't try)

I could not get this method to work all the way on aldiko, but I am not tech savy.

have your ebooks on your pc where you can easily find them
insert your microsd card in the kyros

if haven't already download on the kyros the book reader
if haven't already download on kyros a file manager
connect the kyros to the pc via usb

on kyros home screen pull down the top menu bar

you should see internal and external storage--select the external 8
pop up screen will ask mount or unmount--select mount
this should create a pop up on the pc.--select open files
you should see the laputa file--select it

copy your ebooks to this open folder

you can copy one book or a folder(multi titles from same author) 13
back on kyros home screen pull down the top menu bar
again select external storage and then select unmount
unplug the kyros from your pc

open up the file manager

locate the sdcard file and select

here you should see the books you imported

select the book you want and open it

once the book has been initial opened then closed

open the reader on the home screen or where you keep the apps 22
the book you open should now be( In laputa) on the bookshelf 23
now every time open this book you can do so from here

steps 16 thru 23 only needs to be done once per ebook

I hope this helps

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Rooting is perfectly safe. Those that refuse to root are really limiting themselves as far as the tablet's potential goes. Rooting allows you to use the Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Adobe Reader apps. :)

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
Rooting is perfectly safe. Those that refuse to root are really limiting themselves as far as the tablet's potential goes. Rooting allows you to use the Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Adobe Reader apps. :)

This is solid! I am a complete idiot when it comes to doing any sort of modifications or changing code or anything technical really. But I totally managed to do the root and Clockwork mod with not too much trouble. Of course it took me a little longer than it might take others but no harm to my tablet at all. Just follow the directions or check the youtube video I posted in a couple other threads on here. If you run into any trouble or get stuck come on here to ask for help before you do anything on your own that you are unsure of. People on here are very helpful it seems and the instructions (and especially the Youtube video) make this procedure fairly quick, easy and safe. Like I said if you are unsure of anything at all someone on here will be happy to help you out.

blpwrs3

Mar 9, 2011
I was just trying to be nice, i didnt have to post the thread. I have seen people on here not wanting to root and wanting ebooks. I pose just one question to you, if I try to root and something goes wrong will you buy me a new one.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
You can't ruin your tablet by rooting, period. One of the first steps is to do a a complete backup. If something goes wrong, you just restore from it and you're fine.

No need for the attitude.

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
I was just trying to be nice, i didnt have to post the thread. I have seen people on here not wanting to root and wanting ebooks. I pose just one question to you, if I try to root and something goes wrong will you buy me a new one.

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend you but just saying that there really isn't any danger in rooting if you follow the simple instructions given. You wrote this saying it was for the casual user and I was just pointing out that I don't even really qualify as casual I don't think. This was actually my first tablet ever and I never owned a smart phone or anything. I am a complete moron when it comes to these things and I was still able to do the root and install clockwork mod to get Google apps on the first day I owned the Kyros. I followed these instructions and used a video I found on youtube to follow along to and the whole thing went really smooth and was quite simple.

If an idiot like me can do this then anyone can. The day I opened my Kyros was the first day I ever touched any type of handheld computer and it's also the day I rooted it. Sorry if I said something offensive...wasn't intentional.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
Hey, Blpwrs3, I know how it is to be hesitant about rooting so if you are still hesitant, there is a site I found (before I rooted) where I downloaded the Kindle apk. The site is: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/kindle About half way down that page you'll see the blue download link. It's listed as kindle204103870164.apk

Now that I've shared that, I would like to reassure you that I agree with everyone here. After a few weeks of hesitation and doubt, I finally tried rooting using the "Newbie Guide" thread on this forum and I'm much happier. The results are great and the instructions are easy to follow, however; this is YOUR tablet. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you really don't want to try it, I respect that.

The process for the link I shared is called "side loading". If you download the APK and copy it to your SD card, you can use a file manager to open/install it once its on your SD card. If you type that URL in your browser on your tablet you can download it straight to your tablet. Its much easier but its harder to read the tiny print as the website is not in mobile format. Good luck and Happy Reading.

Last edited:

blpwrs3

Mar 9, 2011
I must say I have rooted and sorry for my hesitantion. It really is simple. so yes I finally agree with everyone here that it was painless to root the coby and sorry for any trouble i may have caused

Sheri

Apr 10, 2011
it opens up to more choices in apps and customizing your coby
Hello all. Well Blpwrs3, I thought that you and I were the only 2 on this board not interested in rooting... but :)
So now that we have access to Amazon's Android store, does rooting give us more choices still?? Thanks

Last edited:

blpwrs3

Mar 9, 2011
I was able to find a budget tool I could use and there are some games as well that I found. I am glad that I rooted, they are correct it is very easy.

Sheri

Apr 10, 2011
I was able to find a budget tool I could use and there are some games as well that I found. I am glad that I rooted, they are correct it is very easy.
1. now that you've rooted, can apps now be saved to the SD card?
2. Can you point me to the link you used to root?
Thank you :)