Ext SD Card

wingman1800

Oct 4, 2013
I will be inserting a 64 g sd card in a 10.1 2014..... what steps do I go thru to insure that what can go to the ext sd card will actually go to that card??

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Fat32 has a max size of 32GB. So the SD card maybe in NTFS. Just check the file system with a PC. Maybe the 2014 edition can actually read & write. I know my A500 will accept 64GB cards. Haven't tried it on the note.

Just use the File manager to copy or move files.

wingman1800

Oct 4, 2013
Is it true that I can only use a 32 gig card... what if I reformat to fat on computer???

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
You can reformat it using a PC, however 64 GB SD cards will only format for NTFS or exFAT (which is the default for SDXC cards).

There is a 3rd party utility from HP that can be used to format it for FAT32 and it will work.

Also, there is a chance that Samsung has added exFAT compatibility. I know Asus has it in their firmware even though they do not advertise that 64 GB cards work. I have a 64 GB microSD (exFAT) and a 64 GB SD (also exFAT) in the keyboard dock.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
There is also a way you can partition the card. JUST like you can partition a 64GB USB stick. This has been done on many USB STICKS. Again I've never tried it on a tablet. The question is whether the tablet will see more than one card or whether it will see it at all. The person to ask is Mrhelper who far more cluey on this sort of thing.

Again this may be different on edition 2014.

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
A camera that only uses 32 gig will take a 64 gig card but only use 32 gig of it. Isn't that also true of Android?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
In the case of a camera, the card will need to be formatted before use. Most cameras have a maximum size card if you insert a bigger card than it can take it may not work. So you'll need to use the format option in the camera settings.

Arachne123

Oct 12, 2013
Hi, I recently got a Yeahpad Pillbox7 Starlight Blue which runs Android 4.1.1. It's got 4Gb internal memory and I've also inserted a 32Gb sandisk microSD card (FAT32). It is recognized and works fine, BUT only 1.56Gb was adopted as available space from within the OS to store apps/media etc... I do have extsd access to the rest of the card but that's not always an option with some apps, and is cumbersome to only have such a small portion of the card available to save apps and such. Any ideas how to increase the 'internal' portion of my 32Gb microSD card up to say, 10Gb?
A second question too, if I may: yesterday I noticed that in the Storage section of my Settings display the available space for the internal memory is correct, and the External space on the microSD card is correct, but the 'Memory' section (which is supposed to display the internally accessed portion of the microSD card) is not displaying the available space correctly: I have a total of 1.56Gb - of which 505MB is used by Apps (data and media content) but it says that there is only 44.88Mb Available space. Huh? by my calc's that should be just over a Gigabyte of space left free. I have no pics or other media in the internal sdcard section (all is now in extsd) so any suggestions? In advance I appreciate your help and advice, Thanks, Arachne

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
There are some ways to modify the system to use the ext-sd. But they are very dangerous and can easily brick a tablet. At a minimum, one should have root and cwm recovery installed before attempting such changes. That said, my coby 7042 has 4gb storage and dozens of apps installed with space to spare. It helps to keep a "tight ship" and delete unused apps.

One place to look for your unaccounted for space is your download folder. I always transfer those from internal to external to free up space.

wingman1800

Oct 4, 2013
UPDATE.......... I just received my Sandisk 64 GB card.... cked it on PC b-4 inserting and it was already exFat , so I just inserted it into 10.1, and it works fine and all 64 GB is shown on the note 10.1. Also found the App Mgr. which lets put several items on the new extSd Card.... all working well !!!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I just checked both my tablets (A500 & NOTE 10.1) and stock standard, do not use the ext microSD for OS purposes. They're just storage devices. I'm sure if the tablets were rooted & some app installed they could do this.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have heard that Google has removed access to the external SD CARD from KITKAT.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It appears that is true for most but not all apps. A few that have updated KitKat support can still be moved but very few.