Factory data reset of Gtablet

Auzzie515

Feb 22, 2012
Hello, Forgive me but im new to tablets.

I was given a Viewsonic Gtablet as a gift that was loaded with Honeycomb Flashback 5.5

As far as I could tell it was a 1.2

I wanted to put vegan gingerbread OS on the tablet so I could use flash as Honeycomb would not allow this.

I installed CWM and factory reset the tablet

Now it wont load past hte Honeycomb 3.0 screen

Alternatively when I push the power and volume + button I get the Viewsonic 3 birds and a message "Recovery key detected Boothing recovery kernel image" but it never goes in the CWM or any recovery mode (also It would not go into recovery mode before the factory data reset)

I honestly do not know what to do as I am a noob

Please help!!!

Auzzie515

Feb 22, 2012
Also my laptop wont recognize my tablet

And I pressed the power and volume - buttons to load APX mode and after the viewsonic screen flashes the screen goes black and nothing happens

Thanx for any and all help in advance

Last edited:

sonicpcmat

Feb 26, 2014
Also my laptop wont recognize my tablet

Thanks for any and all help in advance

Recovery instruction
for G tablet
This is in an update.zip format. Extract the rar to the root of your internal memory, so that you have a recovery folder and an update.zip. You'll need the apk folder only if you wish to install the Terminal Emulator via a sideload.

Run either standard or clockworkmod recovery and install the same way you would install any ROM. Again, this is only a small set to tools, not a full ROM!

[GUIDE] Restore G Tablet after a Failed Recovery Mode "update.zip" - xda-developers

[RECOVERY] 1.2 based recovery options (Recovery Pack, cwm, standard recovery) [G-TABLET] - Viewsonic G-Tablet Disaster Recovery - SlateDroid.com

sonicpcmat

Feb 26, 2014
Also you can try with on the tablet with pressing Volume + key
Hold volume + key
when display recovery mode... press home key
Wait until display
when display menu
select update zip or factory data reset
TnT 1.2-4349 recovery ROM, dated 03/25 and supplied by Viewsonic / TnT. Link: http://tapntap.http....2-4349-user.zip
md5sum: 2a58fbfb90ed7140144bb6a93e10f4e6

These were grabbed from my over-the-air update. They are full recovery images that wipes everything except the user data.

NOTE: This post is ONLY for 1.2-based stock ROMs. For 1.0.1 or 1.1 based stock ROMs, please see this link for details: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=842000

===================================

Instructions for use with the internal memory, and if you are on a 1.2 ROM already:

1- Mount your device to your PC

2- Download the ROM you wish you use, and save it to the root of the mounted drive. Rename it to "update.zip".

3- Shutdown the device and then boot into recovery (Hold Power button and volume up key for a few seconds). If you are using standard recovery, you will see a menu with several options -- you should choose "Apply Internal update.zip" and run it. It should take 1-2 minutes to complete and should reboot automatically.

Instructions for use with the internal memory, and if you are flashing from 1.1-3588 stock:

1- Ensure that you are on 3588 stock, including stock recovery (NO clockworkmod!!!)

2- Download the 1.2-based ROM you wish you use, and save it to the root of the mounted drive. Rename it to "update.zip".

(required for build 3588)

3- Create a folder on your mounted drive called "recovery".

4- In that recovery folder, create a file called "command", and add this line to that file, and save it (EXACTLY as written below):

--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip

NOTE
to Windows users: If you use notepad, it might name the file "command.txt". That won't work. It cannot have a file extension. I would recommend downloading and using the excellent program "notepad++" as a notepad replacement.

5- Shutdown the device and then boot into recovery (Hold Power button and volume up key for a few seconds). Since you are using standard recovery, the update should run automatically and reboot, when completed.

6- If the reboot hangs at the TapnTap screen, you might need a data wipe. To do that, reboot into recovery manually again, and choose the "wipe data / factory reset" option. Then, reboot again when that is completed.
Edited by roebeet, 08 May 2011 - 05:15 PM.

• mrsburnout, kozmo2k4 and Ofthesea like this

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

[h=3] #2 Cannibul[/h]
  • 7b101f2b3647cf1e56524b92a99cc654.png
  • bullet_black.png
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:25 AM
'roebeet', on 17 Apr 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:
TnT 1.2-4349 recovery ROM, dated 03/25 and supplied by Viewsonic / TnT. Link: http://tapntap.http....2-4349-user.zip
md5sum: 2a58fbfb90ed7140144bb6a93e10f4e6

These were grabbed from my over-the-air update. They are full recovery images that wipes everything except the user data.

NOTE: This post is ONLY for 1.2-based stock ROMs. For 1.0.1 or 1.1 based stock ROMs, please see this link for details: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=842000

Instructions for use with the internal memory:

2- Download the ROM you wish you use, and save it to the root of the mounted drive. Rename it to "update.zip".

3- Shutdown the device and then boot into recovery (Hold Power button and volume up key for a few seconds). If you are using standard recovery, you will see a menu with several options -- you should choose "Apply Internal update.zip" and run it. It should take 1-2 minutes to complete and should reboot automatically.

Always nice to have these. Thanks.

[h=3] #3 roebeet[/h]
  • Advanced Member
  • photo-thumb-6051.jpg
  • FW Developer
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:52 AM
'Cannibul', on 17 Apr 2011 - 5:55 PM, said:
Always nice to have these. Thanks.

No problem. The 1.1 ones will stay on XDA, but the 1.2 ones (and assuming there will be more) will be here. Right now I've cross-linked to both and I PM'd the two XDA moderators if that was OK. I'm going to assume that silence is golden.

I've also requested to activate links to Century Eyes and Mountain Laurel when they go live, and again I will assume that if they don't respond that silence is golden. I've actually PM'd them a few times this week and haven't gotten a response (not sure if that was on purpose or not, but if they are ignoring me then they aren't being very objective).

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

[h=3] #4 jhreid1969[/h]
  • Advanced Member
  • 81a07a1cdfde3b93d83ebce96445c458.png
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 111 posts

• LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:09 AM
I've uploaded a copy just in case another download link is needed.

Viewsonic G Tablet 1.2-4349
md5sum:2a58fbfb90ed7140144bb6a93e10f4e6
Edited by jhreid1969, 17 April 2011 - 09:25 AM.

• DaggerDave likes this

[h=3] #5 Samwisw[/h]
  • e888b5d46a5daf048915cc12faaaab48.png
  • bullet_black.png
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:52 AM
Hi Roebeet,

Is VS still took out the 1.2 from their OTA?
I cannot get it.
So if I wnat 1.2 from 1.1, then I have to use this file??

Thaks.

[h=3] #6 robertm1771[/h]
  • Advanced Member
  • a18fc3c8a17e67e191313f8b6bce5814.png
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:04 PM
I ran into an issue when I was trying to run down my battery to get the 100% charge back when charging. In any case I had to use the 1.2 base recovery to do wipe. So you know this seemed to softbrick. So I had to use the recovery to use the update.zip already on my tab this was not the 1.2 base. Then I got the 1.1 Base 3588 OTA update. Can I replace my current 1.1 base update zip with this file. So if I need to redo my update I can get back to the 1.2 base?