Does a "wipe data/factory reset" disable my rootly powers?

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Holding Back & Vol+ on my newly rooted coby mid9742 pulled up a menu I'm sure many of you are familiar with:

Android system recovery <3e>
Android system recovery utility (coby:vol+/vol-, back, power)

reboot system
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

If I choose wipe data/factory reset will that eliminate my rootly powers ?

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Most likely ?? Is it not the same for all-things-android ? Does the reset process vary from device to device?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Most likely ?? Is it not the same for all-things-android ? Does the reset process vary from device to device?

depends on how you rooted, if full root, then no, if permanent root or temp root probably.

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Can you explain the difference between full, permanent, & temporary root? In desktop linux there's just the superuser, root. He has an account, a home directory, & permissions detailed in a setup file. How is Android different?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
temp root is root that only works til you reboot.

permanent root persist through reboot, can be disabled just by removing su binary

full root is modified boot.img root can't be disabled unless a different boot.img is flashed

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Temp: Given that root requires changes to the permissions file how can that be undone by a reboot?
permanent: removing the su command on my desktop will keep me from switching users but I can still login as root. The account is still there. Permissions are still granted. How is Android different?
Full: Is boot.img where the permissions file resides?

My rootedness sustains a reboot so I'm either permanent or full. Here are the 3 commands I got from Travellers script that granted me root. Am I perm or full ?

adb push data /data/local/tmp/ > NUL
adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid > NUL
adb shell /data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh > NUL

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
that looks similar to the permanent root package I put together,
if it's complete it will last through factory reset if not it wont. complete means /system/xbin/su and /system/app/Superuser.apk which just by deleting both will unroot the device.

Ok just looked up your posts you got that from Traveller1701

which is same as what I posted Traveller1701 modified it for windows users, and added a batch script to make it easier for you guys to install.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Traveller1701 said:
And I thanked your posts when you posted it as well. However, that's no excuse for not giving you proper credit within the batch file, and I apologize for that.

Lol no need to do that, I was just trying to answer his question, to do that I needed to know how he rooted his device, had he just said he used your method I would have known.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's clear I read too much into your post and took it the wrong way. However, it's good to see that my intentions for the batch file were noticed. While there is no substitute for actually knowing how ADB works, at least this way end users can get things done. They can always look at the batch file itself if they want to learn more.

Maybe I should mention that in the sticky. :)