Flashing a Wondermedia WM8650

kalliherra

May 27, 2011
I have been searching the threads for any reference to a Wondermedia 8650 and have not been able to find any forum that references how to flash, and what the correct ROM for the tablet is.
The tablet seems to work fine, but cannot access the market or seem to run APK's I try and download from other sites.
Any help would be appreciated. I have included the relevent information on the tablet below.

my table is a
Wondermedia WM8650
Android 2.2
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-default
Build number generic-eng 2.2 Froyo v1.2.3-20110409.211203
color of the led, Blue when powered on red when charging
color of the audio jack: green
it does NOT vibrate when powered up
7: screen.
I could not find any information on the Camera. my guess is that it would be a .3
This screen is a one point touch (does not pinch zoom)

I have tried downloading applanet but still cannot access any apps
The tablet will also not allow me to set up a yahoo email account.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

krishneelg3

Aug 29, 2011
Must have a SDCARD (2gb or higher) formatted with FAT32

steps
1. get uberoid v9 Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire. open the .tgz file using winrar. step 2.
2. search winrar in google if you don't have it already
3. extract(copy) al contents to the root of you SD CARD
4. open changer.exe don't care about the devices your tablet is the same as mine so use option "9" hit enter
5. then wait till it copy's files
6. it'll show "do you want to copy uberoid to a SD DRIVE" hit "n" and enter
7. then it'll show "Do you want to format sd and copy uberoid" hit "n" and enter
8. now you'r done
8a. If you used a SD Card reader to transfer files, take out SD CARD, and turn off your tab.
8b. If you plugged a USB cable to your tab just turn off the tab.
9. make sure your tab is completely off, and its not in hibernate!
10. make sure the sd card is inserted in your tablet.
11. Now just turn on your tab
12. then it'll show android logo then it'll boot into system update, make sure you'r tablets charger is plugged in.
13. wait for it to install, do not remove Sd Card, or turn off tab or you will BRICK your tab.
14. after installation is done it'll tell you to remove SD Card.
15. it'll boot straight away (wait for it to load)
16. then its loaded a window will pop up chose always at bottom and touch ADW Launcher.
17. Now you have a new rom with proper android market, and youtube installed.
18. you can now do what you couldn't do before.
19. ENJOY remember to delete the files from your sd or it'll boot into update everytime you turn it on!
20. Special thanks to HcH'z technology

Last edited:

Chem

Dec 20, 2011
Must have a SDCARD (2gb or higher) formatted with FAT32

steps
1. get uberoid v9 Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire. open the .tgz file using winrar. step 2.
2. search winrar in google if you don't have it already
3. extract(copy) al contents to the root of you SD CARD
4. open changer.exe don't care about the devices your tablet is the same as mine so use option "9" hit enter
5. then wait till it copy's files
6. it'll show "do you want to copy uberoid to a SD DRIVE" hit "n" and enter
7. then it'll show "Do you want to format sd and copy uberoid" hit "n" and enter
8. now you'r done
8a. If you used a SD Card reader to transfer files, take out SD CARD, and turn off your tab.
8b. If you plugged a USB cable to your tab just turn off the tab.
9. make sure your tab is completely off, and its not in hibernate!
10. make sure the sd card is inserted in your tablet.
11. Now just turn on your tab
12. then it'll show android logo then it'll boot into system update, make sure you'r tablets charger is plugged in.
13. wait for it to install, do not remove Sd Card, or turn off tab or you will BRICK your tab.
14. after installation is done it'll tell you to remove SD Card.
15. it'll boot straight away (wait for it to load)
16. then its loaded a window will pop up chose always at bottom and touch ADW Launcher.
17. Now you have a new rom with proper android market, and youtube installed.
18. you can now do what you couldn't do before.
19. ENJOY remember to delete the files from your sd or it'll boot into update everytime you turn it on!
20. Special thanks to HcH'z technology

Hi all 15 step are OK. In step 16 I try to choose between VTL.Launcher and wmtLauncher but touchscreen not work (not accept the touch)
My Model is Wondermedia wm8650

salami

Dec 23, 2011
I have followed your recomandations, but unfortunately I can't use my tablet any more, becuse it seems everything is gone, I have just a black screen and nothing can be seen on. I have the following tablet, green led at starting and red led when charging, I will sincerely appreciate any advice or help to solve the problem.
Model: Wonder Media WM8650
Android: Froyo (2.2)
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-default
Build: generic-eng 2.2 Froyo,ver1.5.3-20110819.012300

Cpu Info:
Name: ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)
Freq: unknown
Cores:
Architecture:
BogoMIPS: 797.97Mhz
Hardware: WMT

General specs:
Processor: VIA8650
Frequency: 800MHz
Memory: RAM 256M
Flash Memory: 2GB (* on 4GB: System: 2.23 GB, Local: 1.77 GB)
Speaker: 8 / 2W
Microphone: Internal
Reset Button
Power button voice + _
Display Resolution: 800*600
Screen size: 8 inch
TFT: Resistant touch screen
Touch screen: Supports resistive touch two points
Camera: No
GPS: No
Bluetooth: No
3G: external 3G function
Video: Support 1080P Movie (mpeg...)
G-Sensor: 4 way G-sensor * (actually a WMT 3-axis accelerometer!?!?)
Network: WiFi IEEE 802.11b/g
Audio port: 3.5mm Headset
USB: 1*MINI 5PIN USB PORT 9V 1.5A DC-IN
SD: TF up to 32GB
Operating System: Android 2.2
Flash: v10.1 (evaluation version only, Adobe dropped the arm5 support for flash, this is the only version there is)
Adapter: DC 9V 2A

I have both skype and yahoo messenger installed, but I am not able to use voice, it says plug-in not installed, and it asks me, if I want to go to the market to install it now? by pushing yes, I am getting "the requested item could not be found". I will appreciate any help in solving the problem.

mikefarr

Dec 28, 2011
I just want to check and make sure as there seems to be a lot of WM8650's.
I bought it as a M70009 and have also seen it called an M709 in the documentation.
What I wanted to know was if this upgrade and procedure would be the same for me.
It has 3G functionality and I noticed some differences there.

I appreciate any help with this.

paskuniag

May 14, 2011
Check your tablet's settings, where it says "about device", usually found at the bottom of the settings menu. That model is listed elsewhere as having a VIA8650 chip in it, but you'd better verify it, since that model number may refer to a whole nother tab. If it is a real 8650, than follow all the directions listed on this site regarding upgrading at home. You don't want to end up with a hundred-dollar paperweight. Good luck!

gundam117

Jan 9, 2012
Hi all 15 step are OK. In step 16 I try to choose between VTL.Launcher and wmtLauncher but touchscreen not work (not accept the touch)
My Model is Wondermedia wm8650

Having the same problem. Any solution for the touch screen failure? Many thanks..

ceribdiscree

Feb 26, 2012
i have a a flash that might help you will have to send me ur email in a private message and i can send it to you all you have to do is un zip it or un rar it and put it on a blank memory card (microsd or sdcard and power off then power on not the greatest but might get you up and running

Feb 27, 2012
Hi Kalli,

I've got exactly the same WM8650 tablet, except that it's the green LED version...

In Holland this tablet did cost around the 99 euros last year, distributed by TomTec BeNeLux. With such a low price, you would expext crappy service, but I have been mistaken. My tablet did not play YouTube vids anymore and I couldn't download Apps, just like you. The Belgian lady suggested to get the latest ROM and send me an email with a link to a PDF and a ZIP.
Here is the link to their web site: https://helpdesk.tom-tec.eu/KB/a155/firmware-update-voor-de-tom-tec-atf3416-22-7-inch-tablet.aspx

T
he site is in Dutch with some English words, so maybe you can distill something useful out of it (or use Google translate). To help you I translated the key words in capitals:
Klik hier om de handleiding (MANUAL) voor het installeren van de firmware te downloaden. Klik hier om de bestanden (FILES) voor het installeren van de firmware te downloaden. In the manual the screenshots are in English.

In a nut shell: you have to download the ZIP, extract it to a micro-SD, put it in the tablet, turn the table on and it will boot and install from the micro-SD. I left the ROM on the micro-SD and only moved the file "wmt_scriptcmd" from the root to the directory with the ROM on the micro-SD.

I hope this will resolve your issues with the tablet, otherwise install the original ROM from the web site (not the updated version).

Grts, Jurriaan