Galaxy 10.1 or HP Touchpad?

Boe

Jul 29, 2011
Hi, guys.

The title is kind of misleading as I'm not really looking for a which is better response. I just want something that will fit my needs.

A little bit about me. I'm somewhat techy I guess. I've been building my own PCs for years and follow technology trends, but I'm not really a member of the new school of mobile hipsters that develop aps and the such. I've owned a couple of iPad 1s and an iPad 2. Loved them. My friends have galaxy tab 7"s and xooms. I have an iPhone. As I'll explain, the iPad doesn't do all that I'd like a tablet to do - these alternatives might not either. I've kind of narrowed it down to the tab 10.1 and the hp touchpad. Both have things I like and dislike.

My needs are pretty simple, but specific.

Primary uses:

1. Netflix. It's my understanding that neither has an official netflix ap that works at this time.

2. ESPN fantasy football smack board (flash based chat within the browser). This is a big one. Tablets are great for hanging out at friend's houses for football, to berate each other over fantasy football matches. The ipad has an app for scores, but you can't talk on the smackboard because of its lack of flash. Considering both the 10.1 and the tPad support flash, I don't expect this will be a problem. If it is, I might as well get another iPad.

Secondary uses:

1. a pleasant and capable web browsing experience. I've heard good things about both in this regard.

2. Solid multimedia viewing. I'm a video editor and watch a fair amount of videos. I'd like my next tablet to excel in this area.

What I've tentatively determined from researching the two is this...

tPad: Well polished OS and multitasking. Great web experience. Not many aps. Still in the early stages of mainstream integration. Somewhat clunky external design.

tab 10.1: Sleek form factor. Great hardware and screen. Endless possibilities. Large online community and following. Not quite as refined and stable as the competition.

Providing they both eventually get a netflix ap that works, and they both work with espn's smackboard, it seems like either one would fit the bill pretty well.

If anyone has some general constructive advice or personal experience that might shed some light on the needs I mentioned, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

-Boe

Last edited:

Jsmphoto

Jul 10, 2011
Netflix is available and works fine on the galaxy tab. I have a 7 and my father in law had the 10.1 and both are running Netflix. I think, IMHO, that Samsung makes the best tablets thus far. :)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Android Tablet Forum