Gapps on Viewpad 10 with full access to Google Market

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
this will be a tutorial on how to add Gapps (viewsonics version of 2.2) on your own, ALWAYS back up your files before you change anything and I take no responsibility for what happens to you or your device, (99.9% chance that nothing bad will happen) to complete this task you will need to have installed and a small knowledge of command lines in Linux. it doesn't matter what version. once you have that set up we can continue. from here on out everything is done on Linux.

Update: before you do the steps below you need to be logged in linux as root by following these instructions, when you first boot into Linux with the live USB open a terminal and type sudo passwd hit enter then it will ask you to create a password. (it will have you input it twice) then log out or switch users, (do not restart or shut down) then log in as other, then type root for the username (hit enter) then type the password you just made. then follow the tutorial below.
and after you make the system.sfs you can just open the x86 android partition (while you are still in Linux) and replace the one that is in there with the one you just made so you dont have to reinstall android.

Step one: download squashfs4.2 from here extract to your desktop, open a command prompt and cd to squashfs/squashfs-tools. an easy way to do this is to type cd then drag the squashfs-tools folder into the window and hit enter. then type, apt-get install squashfs-tools and hit enter. follow the prompts and when it is done just minimize the terminal window.

Step Two: open ubuntu software center and search for Furius ISO Mount Tool and install it.

Step Three: create a folder on the desktop and name it system, then download the stock image file from here and place it in the folder. then download Gapps from here and extract it to the desktop. finally download the build.prop from here and place it on the desktop.

Step Four: open Furius hit browse go to the system.img file in the system folder and select it, next select Loop, then mount. navigate to your home folder and open the system drive/folder and you will see the Android system folders. hit ctrl+h and delete both build.prop files, then drag the one from the desktop in its place, open Gapps and add the apps and files to their correct place, you can also delete the games in the app folder. once you do everything you can close the folder and unmount the system from Furius.

Step Five: open the terminal window back up and type; mksquashfs (drag the system folder from the desktop into the window) system.sfs
it should look something like this: mksquashfs '/root/Desktop/system' system.sfs
it will compress the image file and place it in the squashfs4.2/squashfs-tools folder as system.sfs

when it is all done you may replace the original one that is in the ISO file then write it to usb and flash it. if you have it written to usb already you can simply replace the one that is on the usb drive.

once you get it flashed (installed) and booted, connect to the internet,open gmail and log in, then open settings>applications>manage apllications>running, then scroll down to google services framework, open it and clear data then force stop, hit back then scroll to market and do the same thing. then reboot into android, open market and accept the agreement and you should see apps on the right side, if you do then you can download and install apps. if you download an app and you start getting process.android.media stopped working you will have to repeat the steps, I ran into that problem and it took a couple of tries to get it but after it worked I had no problems.

if you have any problems or questions regarding the tutorial I posted don't hesitate to ask here or PM me. I am no expert at this but I will help the best I can.

Last edited:

AndyChang

Apr 23, 2011
this will be a tutorial on how to add Gapps on your own, ALWAYS back up your files before you change anything and I take no responsibility for what happens to you or your device, (99.9% chance that nothing bad will happen) to complete this task you will need to have installed and a small knowledge of command lines in Linux. it doesn't matter what version. once you have that set up we can continue. from here on out everything is done on Linux.

Step one: download squashfs4.2 from here extract to your desktop, open a command prompt and cd to squashfs/squashfs-tools. an easy way to do this is to type cd then drag the squashfs-tools folder into the window and hit enter. then type, apt-get install squashfs-tools and hit enter. follow the prompts and when it is done just minimize the terminal window.

Step Two: open ubuntu software center and search for Furius ISO Mount Tool and install it.

Step Three: create a folder on the desktop and name it system, then download the stock image file from here and place it in the folder. then download Gapps from here and extract it to the desktop. finally download the build.prop from here and place it on the desktop.

Step Four: open Furius hit browse go to the system.img file in the system folder and select it, next select Loop, then mount. navigate to your home folder and open the system drive/folder and you will see the Android system folders. hit ctrl+h and delete both build.prop files, then drag the one from the desktop in its place, open Gapps and add the apps and files to their correct place, you can also delete the games in the app folder. once you do everything you can close the folder and unmount the system from Furius.

Step Five: open the terminal window back up and type; mksquashfs (drag the system folder from the desktop into the window) system.sfs
it should look something like this: mksquashfs '/root/Desktop/system' system.sfs
it will compress the image file and place it in the squashfs4.2/squashfs-tools folder as system.sfs

when it is all done you may replace the original one that is in the ISO file then write it to usb and flash it. if you have it written to usb already you can simply replace the one that is on the usb drive.

once you get it flashed and booted, connect to the internet,open gmail and log in, then open settings>applications>manage apllications>running, then scroll down to google services framework, open it and clear data then force stop, hit back then scroll to market and do the same thing. then reboot into android, open market and accept the agreement and you should see apps on the right side, if you do then you can download and install apps. if you download an app and you start getting process.android.media stopped working you will have to repeat the steps, I ran into that problem and it took a couple of tries to get it but after it worked I had no problems.

if you have any problems or questions regarding the crappy tutorial I posted don't hesitate to ask here or PM me. I am no expert at this but I will help the best I can.
Can you post a video or what? It looks really complicated.

slchan999

Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

I have market running but the Account and Sync is not in the settings list. Could you tell me how to activate it so that I can sync my calendar? Thank you.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
Hi,

I have market running but the Account and Sync is not in the settings list. Could you tell me how to activate it so that I can sync my calendar? Thank you.

Viewsonic took out the Account and Sync setting and I don't know how to get it back in, when you logged into the Market it should have done the same thing. have you found a Google calendar that works? because I haven't been able to find one that would open or install.

slchan999

Apr 25, 2011
Yes I can open Google Calendar but I can not add Calendar or new event. It seems that only a part of the Google utilities are working though I can find all the applications from the settings -> manage applications. The Account and Syncs application are in the list but I can not make it run.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
I don't have Linux. Is there a way to install the full market with winXP PC or USB flash?

there is no way to add Gapps with windows, but you can do the same thing if you boot linux from a USB drive, make sure it is at least 2-4Gb so you have room to install the programs. also when you first boot into Linux with the live USB open a terminal and type sudo passwd hit enter then it will ask you to create a password. (it will have you input it twice) then log out or switch users, (do not restart or shut down) then log in as other, then type root for the username (hit enter) then type the password you just made. then follow the tutorial in the OP.
and after you make the system.sfs you can just open the x86 android partition (while you are still in Linux) and replace the one that is in there with the one you just made so you dont have to reinstall android.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
Yes I can open Google Calendar but I can not add Calendar or new event. It seems that only a part of the Google utilities are working though I can find all the applications from the settings -> manage applications. The Account and Syncs application are in the list but I can not make it run.

see post below

Last edited:

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
try these files, just install them like normal. calendar works for me and I can add or delete events in the app or online in Google calendar.

slchan999

Apr 25, 2011
try these files, just install them like normal. calendar works for me and I can add or delete events in the app or online in Google calendar.

Thank you. It's working. I have two calendars in my Google account. Only one calendar is sync but the other can not be imported. Any idea?

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
Thank you. It's working. I have two calendars in my Google account. Only one calendar is sync but the other can not be imported. Any idea?

You have two calendars on one account? Or do you have two gmail accounts and you want both calendar events to show up? If the latter is the case then go into gmail and add your other account, sign in, then it will give you the option to sync books, contacts, calendar, and mail. That is the only thing I can think of.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum

slchan999

Apr 25, 2011
You have two calendars on one account? Or do you have two gmail accounts and you want both calendar events to show up? If the latter is the case then go into gmail and add your other account, sign in, then it will give you the option to sync books, contacts, calendar, and mail. That is the only thing I can think of.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum

My case is two calendars in one Google account. Thanks.

calcalmx123

May 8, 2011
Hey does this mean it doesn't have marketplace without this then?

Also Does this need to be done one the viewpad with andoid 1.6 or the upgraded 2.2?

Thanks
Cal.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
Hey does this mean it doesn't have marketplace without this then?

Also Does this need to be done one the viewpad with andoid 1.6 or the upgraded 2.2?

Thanks
Cal.

it doesn't have Google market or any Google apps installed, so if you want anything Google you have to install them yourself. Google apps will only work with android 2.2, 1.6 isn't even worth using.

calcalmx123

May 8, 2011
it doesn't have Google market or any Google apps installed, so if you want anything Google you have to install them yourself. Google apps will only work with android 2.2, 1.6 isn't even worth using.

They offer an upgrade so it would be 2.2 but then when its 2.2 how do I get the market place?

Thanks,
Cal.