Getting your DLNA/UPnP on!

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
For anyone that has an Android tablet and a PS3/XBox 360 and has access to the Android market there is an App called "ShareMe" which works wonderfully. I have been using it on my Droid and my friend on his EVO and it streams without a hiccup. Give is a shot and see how it works for you.

Orion_uk

Dec 31, 2010
I've had good luck with twonkyserver, which doesn't limit the number of files:

TwonkyServer Mobile - Android app on AppBrain

But after a while, kind of lost interest in streaming from the phone. All the media that I want are already on my home computer. Am I missing something?

-Matt

I have a tablet coming in the post from amazon.. (two actually, one with Android 2.1 and one with 2.2)

What I am wondering is if there is an app that can find media servers on my network that already exist and play them directly on the Tablet? On my pc I have PS3 media server & Twonky server and Orb.

On my HTC Wildfire phone I use Twonky and Orb, dont know if they will work on the Android tablet also!

I dont want to use my tablet/phone as a server but as a reciever/player.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I have a tablet coming in the post from amazon.. (two actually, one with Android 2.1 and one with 2.2)

What I am wondering is if there is an app that can find media servers on my network that already exist and play them directly on the Tablet? On my pc I have PS3 media server & Twonky server and Orb.

On my HTC Wildfire phone I use Twonky and Orb, dont know if they will work on the Android tablet also!

I dont want to use my tablet/phone as a server but as a reciever/player.

Thanks for any help in advance :)
I have my PC serving with both TVersity and Orb. Haven't tried Orb yet on my NookColor (2.1), but I can easily browse my files with TVersity. The catch with TVersity is that it has two modes--normal media library and flash-library. Since there's no Flash in 2.1, that is a dead-end so far for me. On the other hand, when I try to view a picture or play a song in the normal media mode, the NC handles it fine.

With video, things get tricky: normally, if I click on a video, the NC will try to download it (and if it's an MP4, play it after downloading). However, I've noted that if I have VPlayer installed and running as the default media player on the NC, videos will play while streaming. Even AVI's. Sounds great, right? The problem is that--despite VPlayer's versatility--it has sync issues and is overall laggy. :(

So no perfect solution on a 2.1 tablet yet, afaik.

-Matt

Orion_uk

Dec 31, 2010
I have my PC serving with both TVersity and Orb. Haven't tried Orb yet on my NookColor (2.1), but I can easily browse my files with TVersity. The catch with TVersity is that it has two modes--normal media library and flash-library. Since there's no Flash in 2.1, that is a dead-end so far for me. On the other hand, when I try to view a picture or play a song in the normal media mode, the NC handles it fine.

With video, things get tricky: normally, if I click on a video, the NC will try to download it (and if it's an MP4, play it after downloading). However, I've noted that if I have VPlayer installed and running as the default media player on the NC, videos will play while streaming. Even AVI's. Sounds great, right? The problem is that--despite VPlayer's versatility--it has sync issues and is overall laggy. :(

So no perfect solution on a 2.1 tablet yet, afaik.

-Matt
Hi Matt, and thanks for the reply/info..

I have used Tversity (was real in to it at one point) but one day the media server kept stopping and it never worked the same from then on! I tried looking at it from various angles..
computer management/systems & services, un-reinstalling Tversity, admin privs, diff versions, static IPs, installing as windows service,nothing reliably worked on a consistant level!

Orb seems more reliable depending an stream settings in my orblive app on my phone (apart from having to start the movie from begining each time and ffwr/rewnd not working during playback) I currently use TwonkyServer for streaming small files from my computer to my HTC Wildfire (TwonkyMedia player) and psp. I also use PS3 media server for larger files to my laptop/psp/PS3.

I guess its all just thoughts in the cloud until I actually get my Tablets and try the various apps for myslf! I will be happyu to report back any success after they arrive ;)

Thank you once again for your reply :>