Gingerbread keyboard on rooted Nook Color

dom

Jan 17, 2011
Is it possible to load/install the gingerbread on a rooted nook color? If so ow?
Thank you
Dom

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
[HOW-TO] Work-arounds for issues with stock Nook Color ROM - xda-developers

3. How do I install a different keyboard?

- if it's in the market, first purchase/install it-- if it's a stand-alone apk, skip that and move on to the next paragraph. If you just downloaded it from the market, find the apk somewhere in data/app/ and copy from there.

Now place the app's apk (Root Explorer works great) in system/app (mount system as r-w first). Look at the file's permissions (long hold on it and choose Permissions from the menu), and match it to the permissions of the other files in that folder. Reboot. Then open your trusty NookColorTools, select keyboard, and you should be able to switch to it. Not all keyboards are currently working, but this is a great way to find out if it does that doesn't require renaming or deleting your current keyboard.

I believe if you used autonooter, you have the gingerbread.apk already - you just need to fix permissions

dom

Jan 17, 2011
yes, i found gingerbread.apk using ES file Explorer. But the option for root options does not seem to work on a rooted Color Nook. I get the message that this in not allowed on my "phone" When I tried to purchase Root Explorer, the site does not allow the use of my credit card. Is there another option to fix the permissions on the gingerbread.apk
Thanks
Dom

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
yes, i found gingerbread.apk using ES file Explorer. But the option for root options does not seem to work on a rooted Color Nook. I get the message that this in not allowed on my "phone" When I tried to purchase Root Explorer, the site does not allow the use of my credit card. Is there another option to fix the permissions on the gingerbread.apk
Thanks
Dom

IIRC, this is a version issue with root explorer - search the forum and I think you'll find you have to install a specific version of root explorer for it to work correctly. I'm sure someone will post the info if I am remembering this correctly.

dom

Jan 17, 2011
I tried to download Root Explorer after using locale switch, but no luck. there was a post suggesting Absolute system Root (etc) I bought it and it allowed me to get to the properties of gingerbread in the system/apps directory. I guess I should back up and ask if anyone has been able to get gingerbread keyboard (or any other keyboard) working on a rooted NOOK COLOR. Maybe i am wasting time trying. Thanks again for any insights

dom

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for your help. Not working for me. Seem like not being able to purchase the "UK" Root Explorer I just havet to forego hope of getting a more useful keyboard. At least I got my Nook color rooted. Maybe some time in the future something will happen.
Thanks again.
Dom