Global computer has the new Archos lineup 4 pre-sale.. WITH release dates

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
They pulled the product page.... or it says "product no longer available" if you go to it.. and they refunded me my money.. so that is probably NOT a good sign.... :(

overboard08

Oct 20, 2010
My question for the 101 is to what extent will document manipulation be afforded? PDF, Microsoft Office, etc? Obviously going to need the apps through the market but has there been any feedback on document manipulation for this tablet yet?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I can't attest to the tablet specifically.. but I know there are apps that edit and present excel, word, and pdf viewing.... I have Documents to Go full version on my Moto Droid. Which has a built in PDF viewer can edit/view power point, excel and doc files. My daughter did a complete report for school via voice to text abilities on android once on a road trip. She even copied and pasted pics to be inserted from the net, had completly full functional manipulation of text, font, alignment. Then email it to herself to retrieve at school... with what i've used of it, mostly making a budget in the spread sheet tools. it's VERY full featured and intergrated.. you can create docs and then email them or set up the program to sync with desk top doc program or Google docs,... I would be very surpriosed if it was very diff on the tablet... the small size of the Droid made it a little difficult to do text selections for cut and paste but they've gone to use of multi touch zoom functionality in the last release of Docs to Go.... so that helped alot.. I'm sure with the lager tablet format it would surely make it easier.

The biggie i'm curious is if the tablet OS has the voice to text enabled.. If not though you can load Uber keyboard and enable it..

Kahoolie

Oct 21, 2010
I just check the status of my order from Global Computer. It still shows back-ordered. I'm taking this as a good sign.

kim1406

Oct 18, 2010
In my case, they did not refund my money and the order status is giving me an error of An invalid Zip Code or order number was entered, please try again.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
HMMM... Kinda curious as to how much of the issues of getting the Archos gen 8 line to the states has to do with the austarity
protests that are going on in France at the moment... or are these things coming straight from china? ... they have them in the UK and Germany.. you can get a 16gb on ebay for $489... NOT!!!! ...lol

drpaul

Oct 5, 2010
I did a preorder for the 16Gb Archos 101 with Global Computer and just called to check the status. I was told that they are not in yet and have an expected receipt date of the 4th. I am now seriously considering the Viewsonic 10 G-tablet, especially since it's webcam is 1.3 MP and it has the Tegra 2 chipset.

philz03

Oct 6, 2010
I'm thinking the higher res is for video playback...

and from what i'm reading on Archos' website you can tether the tablet to your cell as long as you're phone is 3.5g enabled not sure what's up with that but i'll let ya know in a couple weeks..lol

So tethering with a 3G phone will not be possible?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Not sure... says it will be on their site.. I'll let you know IF and WHEN i get mine...lmao

Kahoolie

Oct 21, 2010
I just got this from Global Computer:

Dear Kahoolie,
In regards to your recent order: xxx, we wanted to inform you about your pre-order item Archos 101 8Gb. The manufacturer originally provided us an anticipated availability date of November 1 but unfortunately we have not yet received the product. We were advised today by the manufacturer that the new expected receipt day to our facility is November 19th. We’ll make every effort to receive and ship your order as quickly as possible after delivery and once your order is shipped you will receive a confirmation via email with the tracking number.

We know that you were expecting the item to be shipped this week. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Regards,
GlobalComputer.com Customer Care

kim1406

Oct 18, 2010
I just got this from Global Computer:

Dear Kahoolie,
In regards to your recent order: xxx, we wanted to inform you about your pre-order item Archos 101 8Gb. The manufacturer originally provided us an anticipated availability date of November 1 but unfortunately we have not yet received the product. We were advised today by the manufacturer that the new expected receipt day to our facility is November 19th. We’ll make every effort to receive and ship your order as quickly as possible after delivery and once your order is shipped you will receive a confirmation via email with the tracking number.

We know that you were expecting the item to be shipped this week. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Regards,
GlobalComputer.com Customer Care

Well, at least they contacted you regarding your pre-order. In my case, they did not, and they did not even update the status.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
FINALLY got the low down on my Archos order from Global.. they refunded some of the orders due to the fact that the distributor sent them an open ended backorder and later recieve an back order date.. so that might explain why some are some one are coming up as canceld orders and some are just listed as back orders...

BUT.. the fella i taked to did confirm that the 101 is due to be in next week... he said at that time they'll more than likely make the order link active again plus start filling the pre-orders...

ALAS I'm gonna have to reorder mine.. :(

drpaul

Oct 5, 2010
I canceled my pre-order with Global Computer. When I called their 800 number on their webpage, the rep was not able to cancel the order and referred me to another 800 number, which happened to be Tiger Direct. Global Computer = Tiger Direct??

BTW, I decided to buy the Viewsonic G Tablet. I love it. I hate the Tap'n'Tap UI, but it is very usable after rooting it and installing both Market and Launcher Pro.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I canceled my pre-order with Global Computer. When I called their 800 number on their webpage, the rep was not able to cancel the order and referred me to another 800 number, which happened to be Tiger Direct. Global Computer = Tiger Direct??

BTW, I decided to buy the Viewsonic G Tablet. I love it. I hate the Tap'n'Tap UI, but it is very usable after rooting it and installing both Market and Launcher Pro.

did launcher pro eleviate the sluggishness that's being reported?