Google Admits Next Version of Android Will Be Revealed at Google I/O Tomorrow

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
feat_Pichai27__01__300.jpg

Android chief Sundar Pichai just confirmed today that Google plans to reveal the next version of Android at the Google I/O 2014 developer's conference starting June 25th. Pichai made it clear that the reason why Google is deviating from the norm is because developers and OEMs have been wanting more time with the OS, and he wanted to make that happen.

He elaborated that it's meant to be a big shift toward greater transparency, adding “I want the world to understand what we are doing sooner.”

Pichai didn't go into any further details and gave no mention of which "L" name the next Android version will have.

Beyond that, according to the report at Business Week, Pichai also made it clear that Android Wear will be another primary topic of discussion during the conference. Here's a quote with a few more details,

He’ll also talk about Android Wear, a version of the operating system for fitness trackers and wearable computers, and he’ll announce new manufacturing partners and devices. Google is racing against Apple, which will introduce its iWatch in the fall. Pichai says it’s “crazy” that people visit their doctors, at most, once a year to have their heart rate and blood pressure measured. “You obviously need to be able to measure these things so many more times and then apply more intelligence to it,” he says.

This same report suggested we could also get a glimpse of Android TV. We will keep you apprised all day Thursday and Friday of any interesting developments from the conference.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Yep, Android TV is here! What I wasn't sure about was whether hardware would be ready for this year's conference. (I'd heard whispers to the contrary.) But when Riptide GP prematurely updated its app description this evening to say it's ready for Android TV, well, that just about seals it.