Google Books: The Good, The Bad, and the just Plain Wierd

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
So earlier today I thought I would play with 'Google Books' and check it out. I could read the three pre-loaded books but when I tried to search for new books, the app would crash and a message would appear 'Google Market has stopped.' So I thought maybe my install was the problem and deleted the original 'Google Books' that I downloaded when adding the Android Market to my tablet, and downloaded a newer version from 'Google Play' and opened it up and performed the say actions and received the same error. Ok, so I figured maybe 'Google Books' just will not be an option for me on this tablet.

So a few hours ago I decided to use my wife's Vizio 8" tablet that came with 'Google Play' installed from the factory and downloaded the 'Google Books' app. I opened the app after installation and go to search for book titles and low and behold......I get the same error message. Ok, now I am curious and somewhat suspicious that the problem is not my tablet at all.

So I get the eGlide back out and start playing with it and download the 'Google Magazines' app. Now when I open the app and search for free magazines, the tablet wants me to login to the 'Google Play' website via my browser. Interested, I choose to use Google Chrome for this function. I login and search for a few free magazines and books as a test and when I download one it states "You can view this in Google Books when the download is complete" or something to that nature. Well, sure enough it works. Kind of a work around, but I have now downloaded several books and magazines through the browser on the 'Google Play' website and they all show up in my 'Google Books' app and I can read them without any problems.

Not sure why I have to download books from 'Google Play' this way and not through the 'Google Books' app, but at least it works. What is even more weird is that I have to do the same thing on my wife's tablet that came installed with the 'Google Play' market. I did not know if anyone else was having this problem or not. As I have never used 'Google Books' on my Android phone or other tablet before, this experience is new to me.....

Todd

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It sounds like maybe Google Books app got out of sync with your Google account on your tablet. You can try going into settings and adding the Google account for the device again from scratch and see if that corrects the issue.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Did you try deleting the Books DATA and allowing it to 'start over'?

I prefer Kindle... :rolleyes:

:D

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
Did you try deleting the Books DATA and allowing it to 'start over'?

I prefer Kindle... :rolleyes:

:D

Will have to look at that this weekend. I have been using Kobo and like it quite well, Moon+ Reader is also nice reminds me of Stanza on Iphone. Kindle and Nook are both nice as well. I primarly use more than one reader as they tend to have different databases. Some readers have a better 'free' books selection than others. Always nice to have more options.

Todd

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
It sounds like maybe Google Books app got out of sync with your Google account on your tablet. You can try going into settings and adding the Google account for the device again from scratch and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks, will look into this as well, would not think that I would have the same error on two different tablets (one ICS and the other Gingerbread), especially as the Vizio that came with Gingerbread had Google Play pre-installed. I originally incorrectly assumed it was because of the way I installed Google Market on the eGlide. At least the work around is working for now.

Todd