Google Drive App

bj999

Mar 13, 2012
Hi there,

does anyone have experience with the new service (and App): Google Drive?

It's googles new cloud service based on the already existing "google docs" service.

There is a nice PC software to automatically synchronize the data in a folder on your PC. Also, there is an Android App to access your files stored in the google drive cloud.

What I am struggeling with is the following: I'd like to use my Asus Prime Tablet to, for example, synchronize my photos from an SD card into google drive cloud. I don't want to spend the limited space of memory of transformer pad itself.

Currently I do not find the option to choose a folder on the SD card as my "google drive" folder to synchronize my files as I have it on my PC.
Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, bj.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi bj, Google drive isn't that sophisticated. In the future the may support those sorts of features but not yet. Probably the most similar cloud storage solution to what you have described is dropbox (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android). There are other services such as box (https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ib3guYW5kcm9pZCJd) and Microsoft Skydrive which have varying abilities as well.

Here is a pretty good comparison of the various major options Google Drive vs. Dropbox, SkyDrive, SugarSync, and others: a cloud sync storage face-off | The Verge.

JP

bj999

Mar 13, 2012
Hi JP,

thanks for your good answer. I hat a quick look at the articles you sent. Interessting.

However, I think google drive is quite good and sophisticated. Though I don't know dropbox personally, I am very happy with google drive on my PC. There I could chose 1 folder and it automatically synchronizes all folders and files beneath.

Actually, this is all that I ask for (for now...).

If the android app for "google drive" would support this, I could do most of what I want to do: upload pictures while travelling via my tablet to google drive through a specific folder. Ideally this would be on the SD card or micro SD card, but the tablet itself would be ok as well.

Any chance that this will be possible?

cheers, bj

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I have Google Docs, Drop Box and Box. Of the 3, Drop Box is my favorite. The Android Box application has problems uploading, connection problems, etc. Google Docs not due to its desire to convert spreadsheets to its format.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011
Dropbox is a great app. Couldn't go without it on any Android device

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk2

raju201239

Mar 23, 2012
I will say about Google Drive experience. Its coming with Cloud service like Dropbox etc. but other features also included with it. Google services support is plus point & easy to access over this service. we trust Google, thus it is also trusted service.

jBeans

Jun 21, 2012
Hi there,

does anyone have experience with the new service (and App): Google Drive?

It's googles new cloud service based on the already existing "google docs" service.

There is a nice PC software to automatically synchronize the data in a folder on your PC. Also, there is an Android App to access your files stored in the google drive cloud.

What I am struggeling with is the following: I'd like to use my Asus Prime Tablet to, for example, synchronize my photos from an SD card into google drive cloud. I don't want to spend the limited space of memory of transformer pad itself.

Currently I do not find the option to choose a folder on the SD card as my "google drive" folder to synchronize my files as I have it on my PC.
Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, bj.

The easiest way to do this is to install Google+ on your tablet. There is an option in the Google+ app to auto upload all pictures and videos to your Google+ account. This also uploads them to your picasa account. All the uploaded photos and videos are viewable by YOU ONLY unless you choose to share them.

... also, you may have to go into the settings on your tablet, then accounts, then choose your google account, and choose to sync photos.