Google Maps Offline for Andriod Tablet

pahand

Apr 18, 2012
I have read lots and lots of instructions on "How to Download Google Maps onto an Andriod Phone" but nowhere can I locate anything which will explain how I can download maps using WiFi and then use GPS when WiFi is no longer available. All my reading suggests that what I am wanting is possible, but I cant find out how to do it. :confused:

Peter

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Can't really say for google, apps but I can offer you some help. Try a app called NavFree USA. It works without needing a data connection. I'm testing this one and it works pretty good so far.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Can't really say for google, apps but I can offer you some help. Try a app called NavFree USA. It works without needing a data connection. I'm testing this one and it works pretty good so far.

While this thread relates to Google Maps, can anybody advice if I can use Google Navigation on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 when offline ( NO WIFI, like in a moving car), or for that matter is there any 3rd party App which can be used offline in USA? Thanks.

pahand

Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for your quick reply. I am happy to try anything but given the name I wonder if it will work in Europe. Before I download it you might be able to let me know if NavFree USA has access to Europeon maps

pahand

Apr 18, 2012
If you can come up with an answer for Google Navigation I'm sure it will solve my problem. From my reading it appears that it is possible to use Google Navigation without WiFi from an Andriod Phone. Google maps software for a phone is different software than Google Maps for a tablet.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
While this thread relates to Google Maps, can anybody advice if I can use Google Navigation on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 when offline ( NO WIFI, like in a moving car), or for that matter is there any 3rd party App which can be used offline in USA? Thanks.

NavFree USA will work without wifi or sell signal. It downloads the maps to your tablet. As far as I've found you need a cell signal or wifi to use google. It finds your location with those.

Last edited:

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks for your quick reply. I am happy to try anything but given the name I wonder if it will work in Europe. Before I download it you might be able to let me know if NavFree USA has access to Europeon maps

If you want europeon maps you'll need to download the NavFree app. Make sure it doesn't say usa. Here are the countries it list in the app info. Hope that works for you.

Maps available: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg), Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

sidsnow1977

Feb 22, 2012
Pahand, there are two versions in the Market, USA and normal. If you look in the store under the name of the app you can see the listed countries. Navfree uses free open source mapping.

I personally use "Sygic" although this is not free. As for Google navigation, i believe that to be only with a data/wifi connection.

You can use Google maps offline when you select the precache maps option within the Labs options in settings. This allows a 10 mile square map to be downloaded (max 10 maps per device at one time).

Si

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
NavFree USA will work without wifi or sell signal. It downloads the maps to your tablet. As far as I've found you need a cell signal or wifi to use google. It finds your location with those.

Much obliged. Any otther suggestions?