Google Play & Gmail issues - Freelander PD10/PD20

Lapin127

Dec 26, 2012
Owners of these Tablets will have been having problems with Google Play and Gmail - this was caused by a chage that Google made to a server address, which was in 'hosts' on the Freelander PD10 and PD20 Tablets. Though various solutions have been suggested, I have found that the following, copied from the Pandawill Forum is a really easy fix - thanks to a man in Greece, Astroman! I have used this on 2 Freelanders, with success.

'Google has from 27/12 a specific list of branches that are compatible with play store and gmail. Finally I found the most easy way now to fix my tablet. I have an olympic PD10 that works fine and I believe this solution works for all. I uploaded a file here update.zip named update.zip Download this file on your pc and then connect your tablet through a usb cable to the pc. Drivers are not necessary. Select to see it as a hard drive. Just copy update.zip to the root (not in a folder) of your tablet. Disconnect it and go to settings -> about -> system update -> install system update -> from nand storage. After the reboot you are ok.
(Use on your own risk)'

Bobbob

Jan 29, 2013
I tried this update to my PD20 but did not help. Received my PD20 from dealer in China few dayes ago but can not access my googleplay-account with it. Hope sombody can fix the problem. The dealer from China (Shenzhen Ele Technology Ltd. China (Mainland) (Guangdong) have stopped answere me about the problem.

eddiekissack

Feb 1, 2013
Owners of these Tablets will have been having problems with Google Play and Gmail - this was caused by a chage that Google made to a server address, which was in 'hosts' on the Freelander PD10 and PD20 Tablets. Though various solutions have been suggested, I have found that the following, copied from the Pandawill Forum is a really easy fix - thanks to a man in Greece, Astroman! I have used this on 2 Freelanders, with success.

'Google has from 27/12 a specific list of branches that are compatible with play store and gmail. Finally I found the most easy way now to fix my tablet. I have an olympic PD10 that works fine and I believe this solution works for all. I uploaded a file here update.zip named update.zip Download this file on your pc and then connect your tablet through a usb cable to the pc. Drivers are not necessary. Select to see it as a hard drive. Just copy update.zip to the root (not in a folder) of your tablet. Disconnect it and go to settings -> about -> system update -> install system update -> from nand storage. After the reboot you are ok.
(Use on your own risk)'

Excellent, thank you so much. I spent days trying to fix my pd20 (sxz-pdx0-01) and worried over avg reporitng trojans in unlockroot. This solution was so simple

Ed

helen88

Feb 2, 2013
Hi
I am so pleased to find someone with the same issue,I am new to this so when you select to see it as hard drive what do you mean and how do i copy to the root and not a folder ?? so sorry to ask stupid questions .Thanks

M.Sellly

Feb 2, 2013
hy i have a PD20 and i am some what a noob so can you tell me how to root it plzzzzzzzz give me help

updateemu

Feb 9, 2013
This is how you fix the PD20, worked for both of mine, I got this from another site:

Issues:
- Account sync OFF permanently with the message: "Sync is currently experiencing problems".
- Signing in Google Apps fails showing message: "Can't establish a reliable connection to the server"

Cause:
- system file named 'hosts' (/etc/hosts) points to a Google server that changed IP, thus blocking access to Apps.

Solution:
- edit 'hosts' file (/etc/hosts) deleting or commenting (adding a # at the beginning) the old line

How to do it:

1.- Get your device drivers from manufacturer and install them on your PC
I have a Freelander Tablet and a PC with Windows 7 64-bit at home so I installed an app on my computer called PDAnet which replaces most drivers: http://pdanet.co/bin/PdaNetA400.exe

2.- Root your device
Download and install unlockroot (http://www.unlockroot.com)
Connect your device via USB, be sure that USB debugging mode is enabled on your tablet.
Press Root on your PC and wait... when prompted reboot your tablet...

Then on your tablet go to your apps and look for a new app called SuperSU (now you are a superuser!)

3.- Editing the file
You will need a proper editor On your tablet open your browser and go to: www.ghisler.com/android.htm
Download and Install Total Commander for Android... and open it Browse with Total Commander to root/etc
(hint: on the right side of the screen there's a shortcut to system folder.. look for etc/ and you will find it)
Long tap on "hosts" > edit file > Totalcmd-Editor

Open etc/hosts and edit the file. Just put # before 74.125.93.113 android.clients.google.com. Edited file should look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
#74.125.93.113 android.clients.google.com

4. Reboot your tab. Done!

Last edited:

mgama

Jan 30, 2013
Finally - perfect solution! Also have Win7_64bit and had no drivers. Worked fine on PD10 delux to root + solve google issues. Thanks a lot updateemu!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
Je cherche une solution depuis plusieurs jours à mon problème de "non-connexion" a Google Play et Gmail et le voici règlé avec les infos de Lapin127. Merci, tablette redevenue opérationnelle au premier essais sur ma Freelander PD10. Un GROS merci!