Google Talk on Acer Iconia Tab A500 Help!

patrickle323

Aug 21, 2011
Hello everyone,

My name's Patrick and I'm new to the android system community. I've purchased by tablet 2 weeks ago from Costco and everything seems to be working smoothly. However, the problem i'm currently having is trying to Video or Voice chat through the stock app of Google Talk (regular instant messaging works fine)

I would try calling from my PC to the tablet and a notification box would appear asking if it want to accept or decline. Every time i would click accept...it would take me back to the chat box. I also called Acer Tech support, they said, 'It wasn't supported yet.'

I understand the forum community doesn't appreciate re-posts, so I do apologize if I've done so. But I've searched everywhere through this forum with no luck. Thank you all again for your valuable time!

Patrick
Acer Iconia Tab A500
Stock unit

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Actually this did work for me a while ago, between a laptop with a built in web cam and the acer.

I used two different Google accounts and the laptop was using the Chrome browser. I also did this between two acers.
Both voice chat and video chat worked. I haven't tried this in the last several weeks, but worked since the last update.

Note : a lot of time, tech support types just want you off the line, seems like they are paid by the number of calls, not the number of successful conclusions.

If one or the other side has problems accessing the webcam or mic it will drop back to the lowest common denominator which is text chat.

Oh, and just to check the obvious, you do have the allow voice and video chat checkbox checked on both platforms, right?

Last edited:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hey Patrick,

Video and Audio chat is definitely working, even if it might not be officially supported by Acer for some reason.

I would wonder, what browser are you using on the PC for Google Talk? The reason I ask, is that I've only tried this once and it worked like a charm... this was using the latest version of Firefox as of last month (they just updated again).

Also, I remember having to download something for the PC in order to enable Video. Were you prompted to download the add-on?

I'd go with Icebike's plan if you couldn't get it to work on Firefox - try Chrome... Since Chrome is Google, I bet it's the most likely to work.

brooksinator

Oct 4, 2011
Patrick,

I am also having an issue, although... mine is a little bit more unique.

I have the Acer Iconia A500 tablet and my home has a laptop (Dell) and a desktop (Acer) both with cameras and mics.

I signed into two different google accounts and used the tablets App to video chat and to test I used my home internet. Worked great.

I went on the road last week and used my Sprint Evo 4G Hotspot (over 3G network) to try and video chat with my girlfriend. As soon as either one tries to call the other, her end (her laptop and my desktop) gives her an error: Error ID: 1a3b0c79258ed5f0
We are unable to make Skype calls similarly. We saw each other for one second and then it ends the call.

We can chat/type back and forth all we want, just no video.

I went back home last weekend and it worked again without making any changes. Video crystal clear and no issues.

Then back on the road this week, same issues.

So I'm not sure if it's an issue with my tablet? The computers at home? Or my internet source...