Google Voice or is there a better choice for non 3g/4g text over wifi?

jenniferhsrn

Dec 10, 2011
Was wondering what folks thought of Google Voice, which is the only app I have seen thus far that will "assign" a phone number so you can text over a tablet using wi-fi only. My daughter's doesn't have 3g/4g capablity (identity tab) and I don't know yet if the one I am getting for christmas will have the capability. Not that I plan on purchasing a data plan anyhow. (short story, the identity tab was my gift to myself and found out I was getting one)..

Is there any other apps that can text over wifi alone without an associated phone number?

Thanks!

KeepItReal

Oct 27, 2011
I have been making and receiving calls on my Xoom. First step is too get a Google voice phone, then buy and install Groove IP app from either Market ($4.99) or Amazon App store ($1.99). I followed the directions at the URL in this messge. I used my cell phone number as the forward number during the Google Voice setup, and that's were it sent the special code. Very important to go into Google Voice account settings and change the Call forwarding to Google chat or you won't receive calls. It essentially is giving you VoIP (voice over internet protocol). Should work on any tablet.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...e-free-voip-using-google-voice-groove-ip.html

You will have to have an userid on their site to view the picture examples.

Google Voice also allows to texty.

However, for texting,, I use the app SyncSMS (use Amazon App Store to get it for $1.99). It allows me to text from my smartphone, which syncs to my Xoom and vice versa. Does not support MMS (multimedia messages). Dependent on a free app called Dropbox - this one allows you to share files from all your devices smartphone, tablet and laptop.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I use Google Voice, and although I have tried any number of other apps over the previous 12 months for this, it is the one I keep coming back to.

gottago

Aug 21, 2011
I am using google voice too for texting. I raelly would like to get Groove IP working so I don't have to carry my phone all the time. Does anybody successfully use Google Voice and Groove IP on the G Slate that would share their Groove IP Settings?