Greetings Android Tablet Community!

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Android O/S world. So please forgive my ignorance on all matters related to Android products.

As my handle might suggest, my name is "Bryan". I am familiar with the operations of forum, bulletin boards and message boards. I have participated as a member of several forums and bulletin/message boards as a member. I have met several great people by being a participant. But I also know the headaches of dealing with non-conformists who continually attempt to rock the boat and skate the edge of what is reasonable content as I have been a forum moderator myself.

I don't intend on being a rabble-rouser that causes trouble. But I have no problem calling out someone who is inconsiderate and self-serving in the name of fairness to everyone else. I don't appreciate people who criticize others for their choices. People are different often believing different things and forming opinions based on differing criteria. I believe in "live and let live". If someone treats me with consideration, you will get nothing but consideration in return.

Having been a member of community forums on several different topics, one pet peeve I have is those forum community members that think that it is okay to verbally abuse or otherwise berate other members because their post-count is higher. I am here because I wish to learn, not be targeted for abuse by those that think it is fun to chastise the "Newbie" or other members. The mark of a great forum is having good moderators and administrators that are aware of this type of behavior and do not condone it. And will take the action to ensure that everyone is treated with courtesy and consideration.

Respect on the other hand is an earned quality. You earn respect by being civil, by being reasonable, by helping those that need help, by not being hypocritical, and otherwise showing me that you deserve to have my respect. If you agree with my reasonable expectations, then we'll get along just fine.

I am 54 years old, married, with a daughter and son. I am somewhat technically savvy even though I haven't upgraded my phone to a "smart phone". I consider myself "cost-conscientious", hence my phone although pretty "dumb", does what I need it to do without paying an extra data-plan fee. My purchase of an Android tablet coupled with my home wi-fi will, I hope solve some of those "dumb-phone" issues.

I am an Assistant Scout Master for my son's Boy Scout Troop. My avatar is a head shot of me standing on top of "Baldy Mountain" at approximately 12,400 feet of elevation, and the highest peak at Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimarron, New Mexico. I'm looking somewhat scruffy because I hadn't shaved for over a week when the picture was taken. It is easily the best trip I have taken with my son while being involved in the scout program.

So, with that said I've just received a Google Nexus 7 tablet. I have some questions about its GPS function that I'll put in the appropriate forum to get the best exposure to the community.

I hope I didn't come across as too heavy-handed in my introduction. But I just wanted to get it out in the open and let everyone know where I stood. I love the forum community concept and the opportunities it provides to learn. Most forum members are upstanding and considerate. I look forward to interacting with you.

Very Respectfully,

Bryan

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Bryan,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Nexus 7. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. Since you're new to the "Android O/S world", I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.

IMHO this is a very friendly forum and we take the sort of behavior you spoke of quite seriously. If you read the first three rules of the forum here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ance/6368-forum-rules-guidelines-conduct.html, you'll see we don't tolerate rudeness for any reason. If while you're on the forum you notice anyone acting in violation of any of the forum rules, report the post. There's a "Report Post" button on every post in the forum, just click it and go on with whatever you were doing. A member of the Forum Staff will take whatever action is necessary to take care of the problem you reported as soon as possible. The only other thing you could do as a member is respond to the abuse yourself and that never turns out well. We have the tools to handle whatever problems may arise e.g. warning, infraction, ban etc. and you don't.

On the other side of the coin, there's also a "Thank" button on every post. If someone is particularly helpful, knowledgeable, considerate, etc. you can let them know you appreciate their assistance. Hopefully you'll become much more familiar with that button here at Android Tablets.:eek:

Enjoy your new tablet and the forum,
Spider

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hello Bryan,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Nexus 7. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. Since you're new to the "Android O/S world", I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.

IMHO this is a very friendly forum and we take the sort of behavior you spoke of quite seriously. If you read the first three rules of the forum here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ance/6368-forum-rules-guidelines-conduct.html, you'll see we don't tolerate rudeness for any reason. If while you're on the forum you notice anyone acting in violation of any of the forum rules, report the post. There's a "Report Post" button on every post in the forum, just click it and go on with whatever you were doing. A member of the Forum Staff will take whatever action is necessary to take care of the problem you reported as soon as possible. The only other thing you could do as a member is respond to the abuse yourself and that never turns out well. We have the tools to handle whatever problems may arise e.g. warning, infraction, ban etc. and you don't.

On the other side of the coin, there's also a "Thank" button on every post. If someone is particularly helpful, knowledgeable, considerate, etc. you can let them know you appreciate their assistance. Hopefully you'll become much more familiar with that button here at Android Tablets.:eek:

Spider

Hey, Spider.
Two things. First of all, my posts aren't sending with the "Thank" icon at the bottom. I've received 1 thanks, but that was done somehow without the use of a button. What am I missing/not doing right?
Secondly, how am I able to reply using only part of a quote?

Thanks,
Ed

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Ed,

You can't see the "Thank" icon on your own posts, because it's considered bad form to thank yourself.:p It is there for others to see, and now you've got 2.:eek:

To partially quote something, do a "Reply With Quote" and delete whatever you want to between the
at the beginning and the
at the end before submitting it.

Have fun,
Spider

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
Hello Bryan,

Spider

Spider,

Thanks for the very warm welcome. I appreciate hearing that this forum is well looked after. I hope to learn a lot here. And maybe even contribute at some point.

I look forward to participating and picking up some tips and general information about all things Android.

Very Respectfully,

Bryan

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Bryan,

Glad to see you're still with us and you hope to be able to contribute some day. That's what makes the forum work. Ask for help whenever you need it and give help whenever you can.:eek:

Best,
Spider

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
Well...I've been giving my Google Nexus 7 a thorough test drive. I've been downloading some apps and trying them out. I hope to be able to provide something to the forum soon. We'll see.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Bryan, nice to hear you're making some headway in your battle to conquer Android. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Of course, I expect to see it posted in the correct forum when it appears.:cool: