Haipad M701-R USB Functions

haingu

May 8, 2011
Not all tablets have "USB Hosting" available. Even when they do you're only likely to get USB Flash drives, Keyboards, or Mice to work because Android doesn't have device drivers for much else. Also, some tablets have TWO usb ports - but only ONE of them can be used with devices.

Well many thanks.
You are the one who opens up a lot of mysteries about this tablet. It is hard to navigate. I have a haipad M701 from Shenzeng with Android 2.3 and multitouch capacitive screen (that does not seem to be capactive at all, since using your fingers does not work). I have a usb keyboard working, but the other usb function I need is to be able to download apps, ebooks .., directly onto the sd isntead of going through a reader. It is said that it can be done if it has a driver.
Where can that kind of driver be found? Thank you.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@haingu - all the Haipad M701 tablets have resistive "dual-touch" screens (two points maximum). They DO work with finger presses, but you'll have better results using your fingernail (back of the fingernail works for people without long nails) or use the stylus. The Haipad M7 is the tablet that has a capacitive screen.

USB doesn't have anything to do with downloading apps. When you download and install and app it usually gets installed to the internal (also called "nand") storage. Android 2.3 has an option to MOVE some installed apps to the SD card if you go into Setting>Manage Applications and click on an app. Also, when you install many games and ereader apps, etc., on install or first use it will often ask you whether to store data internally or on the sdcard. Again, having nothing to do with the USB port.

The current Android 2.3 for the M701 is a little weird in that the sdcard contents are ACTUALLY stored inside of /scard/tflash and there is no /nand directory. Most apps should still be able to find the sdcard in the sub-folder, but I've found a couple of apps now and then that will put it in /sdcard/ instead of the /tflash/ subfolder, meaning it's actually being saved on internal storage, not the sdcard. Confusing? Yes.

If you have apps you didn't download through a market and want to put on the sdcard to install them (this is assuming you have the .apk files on your desktop computer) you can attach your tablet as if it were a USB flash drive. After you see the USB icons in the notification bar you have to pull it down, click on the USB storage notice and it will take you to another screen where you can turn on USB storage. At that point the storage on the device will "mount" to your desktop computer like a USB drive (actually often two - one for the internal and one for the sdcard). Then just drag and drop the .apk files or PDFs or whatever to the tablet. Once the apps are on the device you can find them with the File Explorer, double tap and use the package installer to install them (if they are compatible of course). Document files should open with whatever the default app is for their file type when you tap on them in the file explorer (or if you search for them with the reader app).