Help, I bricked my Kyros using autostarts!

henrychamb

Mar 20, 2011
I have a 7015A rooted and with the google apps following the instructions in "super easy way to root and..." stickied here, and it was working wonderfully and I was very happy except for the wake-ups every minute or so problem that I'm sure you heard about, so I installed "Autostarts" to help avoid this. I thought I was being careful in choosing the apps that would not "autostart", but it seems I wasn't careful enough. This is how my tablet works now: the tablet boots and looks normal and the hardware buttons do what they are supposed to do, but the only thing wrong with it is the screen. It can only be accessed to get into calengoo from its widget by "clicking" touching it, but the other icons don't do anything when I touch them. I thought that I would just uninstall the "autostarts" app from the internal memory connecting it to my computer, but you need to "mount" it by using the touch screen on the tablet, which I can't do. I thought of connecting a usb keyboard (or mouse) to access the terminal emulator to reinstall the back-up I have in the root of by SD card, but I don't hold high hopes for that working.

Do you have any ideas that could help me? Thanks in advance.

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
reinstall the back-up I have in the root of by SD card, but I don't hold high hopes for that working.
With the unit off, press and hold down the silver back button on front. While doing this press the power button until the thing turns on. Keep pressing the silver button until ClockworkMod appears. Now you can restore your backup. If you don't have ClockworkMod installed, just do a factory reset. That should get you back to a working state.

After reading several dozen messages on the random waking up problem, I just came to the conclusion there's no fix and I live with it the way it is.

henrychamb

Mar 20, 2011
Thank you for your quick answer, and I do have ClockworkMod and I would use it if I wasn't lucky enough that my wireless mouse worked and I was able to access "autostarts" and reenabled some apps that I had disabled before. The one that was causing the problem I think is "calibrate", which I think is needed for the screen to work, but I'm not really sure. Less wake ups until now with the apps I disabled, but just like you, I think I will learn to live with them For now, I'm leaving my tablet alone until I try the Watery Kyros or other mod in a few months at least. Thanks.

Problem fixed.

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
Remove Autostarts, then download & install the free Softlocker from the gallery. It will prevent deep sleep, but stop the screen awaking. I think you'll see longer battery life & improved performance - I certainly did.
--Larry

Sent from my Kyros 7015 using the Android Tablet Forum App powered by Tapatalk.

henrychamb

Mar 20, 2011
I was using softlocker already, unsuccesfully. That's why I opted for autostarts as well, which the jury is still out on.

Thatoneguy

Feb 23, 2011
Remove Autostarts, then download & install the free Softlocker from the gallery. It will prevent deep sleep, but stop the screen awaking. I think you'll see longer battery life & improved performance - I certainly did.
--Larry

Soft locker fixed it for me as well

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
After you install Softlocker make sure you "lock" it to activate! Easy to miss.
--Larry

dlove

Mar 20, 2011
After you install Softlocker make sure you "lock" it to activate! Easy to miss.
--Larry

Softlocker working for me. THANKS!!

henrychamb

Mar 20, 2011
I installed softlocker because it seems to be working for lots of people but not for me. I don't know why, and I have made sure to "lock", but still the wake ups happen. I suspect that it could be the configuration of K9 mail, so I am still making some adjustments to programs that sync on a regular basis and autostarts. Right now they are happening less frequently (every 10 minutes). It used to happen every minute or so before softlocker and autostarts. I'll post my findings later. It doesn't worry that much now that it's happening less frequently.

henrychamb

Mar 20, 2011
No more wake ups! At least for the most part. It still happens, but it's rare. I can put it to sleep, and it could wake up 10 minutes later, then not happen for an hour or more? (I have other things to do, thank God) The important thing for me is that it's not happening so frequently, and because it's happening so little. I really don't mind. I have 3 apps that could have contributed: Advanced Task Killer, Softlocker and Autostarts. Besides I have played around with the new email check configuration. I'm very satisfied with my Kyros now. It seems to be much faster.

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
I have K9 set up for Gmail, a Yahoo account & a couple of local server accounts (email & gmail apps removed), but told it to NEVER poll. I just "check mail" whenever I open the app. It only takes a few seconds and helps w/ battery life plus stops wakeups.
--Larry

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
Goodluck!