Help needed for VIA8650

Nov 11, 2011
My name is Deirdre and I bought two cheap tablets for Christmas for my young daughters. I was not trying to replace an IPAD or an expensive tablet. I thought about the Kindle Fire, but the price for two was WAY above our budget. So the more I thought about it, I figured I could buy a cheaper tablet and download some music onto it for them and a few games and books and they'd be all set. I really didn't think that my requirements were that great. I figured the non US Android market wouldn't be that big of a deal. Good lord, this has been a nightmare. Specifically, I cannot download any apps because I keep being asked to log in to my Android account and then when I do, I get the error message that I don't have an Android phone. So, do I have to upgrade the firmware to get around this? I'm adding the specs from Amazon and the version of Uberoid, I'm thinking I need to upgrade. Thank you so much for your assistance. The specs from Amazon:

• Via 8650 800 MHz CPU
  • 7" 800*480 two point touch resistive LCD
  • Android 2.2
  • Supports flash 10.1
  • MicroSD card slot (supports up to 32GB)
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
  • Hardware Platform: VIA8650
  • Processor: 800 None
  • Number of Processors: 1
  • RAM: 256 MB
  • RAM Type: DDR DRAM
  • Memory Slots: 1
Operating System and Software
  • Bundled Software: Google Android 2.2
Hard Drive
  • Size: 2 GB
Version of Uberoid from TechKnow dated 08/18/11

WM8650 Tablets

These are the newer tablets. All of these should work with HCH's new ROM:
universal-uberoid-wm8650-1-5-3-honeycombmod-v9-t1096.html.
Does this sound correct?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Deirdre, welcome to Android Tablets and congratulations on your new tablets. Nice of you to join us as a member of the forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems and I'm moving your thread to the WonderMedia Based section where I think we'll be able to get you some help. Good luck!

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
Try the instructions in the video linked to in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...38-i-cant-download-market-i-need-new-rom.html. I clicked and opened the Youtube link and then downloaded from the link that he has there. This worked great for me and gave me the market access, but the tablet will still be on the slow side for a lot of the games they may want to play. I installed the Uberoid ROM as linked in my sig, and I've been very happy with it. You have to register (free) on the site and then determine which tablet you have, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
I have a nearly identical tablet. Green LED, vibrates, and 2 pt touch. I installed Modroid v11 which works pretty good. These tablets are a bit doggy to do much with video but if you are a bit patient you can get a good collection of games and they are fine for web and news browsing, etc. You're just not going to get a good netflix or hulu experience on them. To tell you the truth hardly any tablet is a good as a netbook for video stuff and/or higher level applications. But, that's not why you buy a tablet. It's a handy device to read and play a simple game or two and a couple emails.
With the issues you're having with Android Market, I'm afraid I'm not sure why you are getting that message with Uberoid. All I can say is you won't get it with Modroid, but I can't believe it is simply a matter of which modded rom you use.

Do you have a regular google account? If not, sign up on your PC first. Then do the following:
Go to settings, manage applications, select all apps and then go down to market and select it. Clear all data and cache (and force stop if you have to). Then go to google services framework and clear data. Then go to your market app and you should get an error (this is good).
Then reboot your tablet and it should take you to a new "sign-in" for the google apps. You will need to enable your wireless before completing the sign-in process.

I should have asked, but you do have Gmail and Android Market already installed, right?

Nov 11, 2011
Good morning,
Thanks for all the prompt responses.

I have not upgraded the firmware since receiving the tablets. I'm honestly not too worried about video because we won't be using these for hulu or netflix. The kids may watch a youtube video every now & then, but not that much. I really want this for them when we are on car rides to and from school (20 minute drive each way) and obviously for longer car trips to visit family. They'll also use them for accessing their online textbook for homework. Right now they both fight over my Itouch all the time. I literally only have about 6 games on it, Alice In Wonderland, Checkers, Hearts, Puppy light etc. They are not huge video fanatics. We don't own a WII or Xbox or DS's or anything! I know STONE AGE over here! But I wanted to put some of the more popular games, like Angry Birds etc on there. Mostly they will want to listen to music. They love, love, love their tunage! My oldest is a reader. Every time you look at her, she has a book (if not 2) in her hands and lap. This is the the primary use for the tablet, which is why I originally was looking at the Kindle fire, but I knew my two would fight over one device and since they just broke my Itouch (really, really mad about that) by spilling milk all over it, I didn't want to invest too much money to buy the fire. The fire is on my wish list and I'm hoping that if they each have their own device, they'll leave mine alone!!!

So really all I want out of this tablet, is to be able to use the real Android app market, and the Amazon App market. I want to be able to read books that I've already downloaded on pc using the Kindle App for PC. I also have some Barnes & Noble gift cards, that I'd like to use to download nookbooks, so I'll need to be able to read those as well.

So long story short, (sorry SAHM with only a 1 year old for daily conversation--making my online conversations very long!!) do I NEED to upgrade the firmware in order to access the above app markets? I do have a gmail account. I do not have gmail installed on the tablet. I was trying to download apps on my computer, put them on an sd card, and then transfer them. But when I go to the app market, it just says I don't have any devices, therefore I cannot download anything. When I try to download from the tablet, I get the error that I need to sign in with a different account. I will try advice here and report back. Thank you so very much for all the assistance!!!

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
Are you just trying the market from the app, or have you tried using the browser and going to https://market.android.com/? You will need a gmail account to access, but if I remember correctly, that way you don't get asked for a phone to link it to.

Nov 11, 2011
Cal67,
Yes I've tried directly from the site. No luck. I've downloaded Uberoid and Modroid. Extracted, changed bat files all good. Problem is, when I put in the MicroSD card, the tablet doesn't acknowledge it. It just boots up regularly. Do I need to do any special machinations to get it to boot from the SD card? I read on slatedroid that I should use 4G or less card. My microSD is 8g. Could this be the problem??? Thank you.

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
My microsd is 8 gig and it works. Did you format to FAT32? It won't work with NTFS. Which changer bat version of Uberoid did you use?