Herotab M8

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
@pat81ok: You're right there is only one 1.0 version and it's the IUNIN_UM2801B_Froyo_1.0beta_fullCodec (see Settings - About device - Build number).

I am not certain what you are saying here, because mine build number is:
IUNIN_UM2801B_Froyo_1.0

And there is one considerable difference between the beta version and this one: USB keyboard is finally working, which was not the case in any of the previous releases.

Duncasi

Jun 30, 2011
I was not aware there was already a 1.0 Final version.

Were can I download this final 1.0 version?

Does it also have mouse support ?

Last edited:

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
WTF man?! ;)
You were trying to help ColonelZap constantly referring to update-um2801-1.0-4G-signed.zip (which IS the final release and only contains the firmware, without the .bat file and the flashing program and libraries) and now you say you were not aware...

:cool: Never mind, here is the original message (in this same thread) with the link to the 1.0final release: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/samsung-based/17239-herotab-m8-6.html#post117714
I can confirm. The USB keyboard and mouse are working in this firmware version. Don't forget to rotate the tablet in landscape, or you will be confused with the way your mouse moves. ;)

Last edited:

pat81ok

Aug 6, 2011
WTF man?! ;)You were trying to help ColonelZap constantly referring to update-um2801-1.0-4G-signed.zip (which IS the final release and only contains the firmware, without the .bat file and the flashing program and libraries) and now you say you were not aware... :cool: Never mind, here is the original message (in this same thread) with the link to the 1.0final release: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/samsung-based/17239-herotab-m8-6.html#post117714
I've tried both the releases. Probably they're differents becouse the final installation ( the version out of beta) seems working more fluently. The gps now is working, instead it appeared died before. I have to specify that it can't still receive any satellites. I sent an email to hong kong kingdom technologies, which is the producer, to reccommand them to solve that trouble. I also found the app bluegsm4droid to connect the pad with an external gps antenna. It works perfectly and i can catch 5/6 satellites. I rekon that the built-in gps receiver is not very good. Is there anyone who has the same trouble?

Last edited:

Duncasi

Jun 30, 2011
I updated the file names in update-ite.bat with the new firmware file names in update-um2801-1.0-4G-signed.zip
You can download the repacked file with update-ite.bat here.

IUNIN_UM2801B_Froyo_1.0 test results:

+ full market (no tricks needed, it will download and install Google Maps if you sign in to the Market)
+ mouse support
+ GPS (outside) max. 10 satellites with a signal to noise ratio (SNR) between 20 - 40, within a time frame of about 5 to 10 minutes.

- youtube does not work with app v2.1.6 or m.youtube.com (after installing Flash Player 10.3 the Youtube desktop version will work)
- volume buttons are reversed
- sometimes WiFi doesn't reconnect after sleep mode
- flashing screen in sleep mode every now and then
- no flash player installed (use Android Market)
- The Power Control widget used for adjusting the brightness of the screen, powered off the screen regular when switching from medium to high. When tapping the button again the screen powered on.

Charging external GPS (Holux GPSlim 236) for some testing tomorrow.

Last edited:

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
I've tried both the releases. Probably they're differents becouse the final installation ( the version out of beta) seems working more fluently. The gps now is working, instead it appeared died before. I have to specify that it can't still receive any satellites. I sent an email to hong kong kingdom technologies, which is the producer, to reccommand them to solve that trouble. I also found the app bluegsm4droid to connect the pad with an external gps antenna. It works perfectly and i can catch 5/6 satellites. I rekon that the built-in gps receiver is not very good. Is there anyone who has the same trouble?

I am having the same trouble with the GPS as you are. With the difference that mine never seemed dead, no matter what firmware version I had. It just wouldn't connect to the found satellites (max two of them in the same time) because of low signal.
It's still the same.

For those of you who are interested in the mentioned application above, its real name is blueGPS4droid. ;-)

Is the company Hong Kong Kingdom Technologies the producer of the firmware ??

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
I'm having trouble with google maps?!? Somehow it trys to sign in into my google account but it fails?!? Anybody else having this problem?

fdcuneta

Aug 3, 2011
Hi,

I already gave up looking for solution regarding the GPS so I decided to return the M8 to Merimobile and hopefully get the full refund soon so I can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
@ColonelZap: I can start Google Maps without any problem. Does the Android market work?

Yes, the market works and I can also START google maps but after a few minutes it trys to sign in but fails.
Also, I keep losing my WIFI connection ALL THE TIME :-(

Hi,

I already gave up looking for solution regarding the GPS so I decided to return the M8 to Merimobile and hopefully get the full refund soon so I can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Don't ask me why but GPS is working on my M8 :) It's not the strongest but it will find approx. 6-8 satellites and connect to 4-5 of them :)

Edit: Check it out:

$M8GPS.jpg$CIMG5375.JPG

Last edited:

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
Don't ask me why but GPS is working on my M8 :) It's not the strongest but it will find approx. 6-8 satellites and connect to 4-5 of them :)

I'm starting to think that there is nothing wrong with the firmware it self. All of my problems related to the GPS & HDMI out might be a hardware related issues caused by human soldering skills... or lack of any!

I think one of this days I'll gather the required courage and crack-open the device. ;)

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
I'm starting to think that there is nothing wrong with the firmware it self.

GPS worked just fine with ANY of the firmwares I had on my device so far :)

What is REALLY bothering me is that WIFI turns off all the time! :( I hope THAT is firmware related!

Duncasi

Jun 30, 2011
I compared the GPS values of the Herotab M8 with my LG smartphone. The GPS values of the smartphone are a higher and more stable. I also got a faster fix on the smartphone but that's no wonder because it had an internet connection and used it to download satellite information (Assisted GPS).

I used the BlueGPS tool to get my external GPS working but I couldn't find a tool to read out the GPS values and compare it with the Internal GPS. Unfortunately, the GPS Test program doesn't work with the Bluetooth GPS module. So it's hard to make a comparison but I had no problems when navigating with the internal GPS.

Comparison of the Herotab M8 vs. LG smartphone GPS:

$P1020213.JPG

Last edited: