HI All Newbie to Android Question here!!

mitchcool1

Aug 24, 2011
Hi all i have brought my self the A500 tablet with 3.1 on it...

1. Why cant i see the new external Lexar 16GB SD card, it says Unavailable, i have tried updating usb driver from acer site, not sure i have done that right though? still no good? I have an SD tools APP, you can see the name etc of the lexar but when you do the speed test its says Writting but Error reading.

2. Also, All i wanted to do is transfer pics and vid from my sony bloggie cam to my tablet.
I can view the pics and video whilst its plugged in but then cant save them to my tablet anywhere. I then tried using Astro app etc etc and couldnt copy them over. Surly there is an easy way, why is this so hard?

3. I also have a 1T portable hardrive that has all my pic/music and AVI dvd's on but the tablet is also not seeing that?

4. Can the A500 play AVI's?

I have been on the above for 6 hours now and not getting anywhere and very mad..If any one can help plz plz plz and write a detail descrpiton step by step on how you can do thw above file transfer.

HD87

May 14, 2011
Hi all i have brought my self the A500 tablet with 3.1 on it...

1. Why cant i see the new external Lexar 16GB SD card, it says Unavailable, i have tried updating usb driver from acer site, not sure i have done that right though? still no good? I have an SD tools APP, you can see the name etc of the lexar but when you do the speed test its says Writting but Error reading.

2. Also, All i wanted to do is transfer pics and vid from my sony bloggie cam to my tablet.
I can view the pics and video whilst its plugged in but then cant save them to my tablet anywhere. I then tried using Astro app etc etc and couldnt copy them over. Surly there is an easy way, why is this so hard?

3. I also have a 1T portable hardrive that has all my pic/music and AVI dvd's on but the tablet is also not seeing that?

4. Can the A500 play AVI's?

I have been on the above for 6 hours now and not getting anywhere and very mad..If any one can help plz plz plz and write a detail descrpiton step by step on how you can do thw above file transfer.
On 3.1 you cannot transfer from PC to external SD inside the tab, 3.2 will have this feature. You should be able to transfer to internal SD card, which in ASTRO file manager that's what the directory is. As far as your hard drive how is it formatted? FAT32? & the a500 can play all types of video files, download MOBO player & codecs. You'll be good to go. :)

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Is your SD Card Fat 32? Gotta be for the a500 to read it.

Put your SD Card in your computer and copy files from your Cam.

Is your External HD Fat 32? Gotta be.

Yes you can play AVI's

Main thing is to first check your card and hd to make sure they are Fat 32, you can insert / connect to your computer then right mouse click then select properties to find out.

mitchcool1

Aug 24, 2011
Hi folkes thanks for the reply,

1. Portable 1T HDD says a file system of NTFS? is this right? couldnt find any Fat32. can i change it?

2.Micro SD is a Lexar (Class 4) Mobile MicroSDHC - 16GB http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/lexar-class-4-mobile-microsdhc-16gb-without-adaptor.html i looked here, cant really seem to find out what it might be? i have no other equimpment that has a use for a micro sd, so cant check.

3 Still not sure about the cam transfer? can i only transfer from cam with usb to external sd or can i transfer to internal sd? if so how do i transfer the file to my internal sd tablet for play back? i can only view them on tablet whilst usb digital cam i connected, cant find anwhere for drop and drag....only on pics already stored on the tablet allow me to drop and drag.....

4. so i can drop and drag files by connecting my laptop to my tablet via USB cable? what a male-male one?

Last edited:

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
"1. Portable 1T HDD says a file system of NTFS? is this right? couldnt find any Fat32. can i change it?"

NTFS will not work with the a500 (android). You'll have to reformat it to Fat32. Search the forums for the free program but it has to be downloaded and used from a PC. Your Lexar should be fine. You need a File Manager (FREE from the Market) like ES File Explorer or FileManagerHD. I use both.

mitchcool1

Aug 24, 2011
"1. Portable 1T HDD says a file system of NTFS? is this right? couldnt find any Fat32. can i change it?"

NTFS will not work with the a500 (android). You'll have to reformat it to Fat32. Search the forums for the free program but it has to be downloaded and used from a PC. Your Lexar should be fine. You need a File Manager (FREE from the Market) like ES File Explorer or FileManagerHD. I use both.

1..... File manager for Lexar? i do have Adoa file manager but as mentioned before it says in my Ext. storage- Unavailable when micro card is in?

2......Instead of downloading avi video's from my NTS none compliant portable, could i just transfer them same from my windows laptop instead to the Tablet? Do i need a male -male usb cable for that?

3......Also i can not find away to transfer pics and video from my digital camera usb connected to my tablet, but can view file on tablet from Camera until i unplug USB? I have tried Quick pic, clearFi and nemo player but no where can i transfer files fromcamera, can only view....

Plzzz help me, what im trying to do would never be this hard on Window....plzzzz help me.

danielg5

May 3, 2011
Hi,

I hope my suggestions below help solve some of your issues:

1. If you are trying to read the SD card from your computer, that doesn't work in the current version of Honeycomb on the Iconia tab. If you are trying to do this from the tablet, you need to make sure that the sd card is formatted the right way. It must be formatted in FAT32. If you don't have a card reader that will read a micro-sd card, you should get one, or you can get a full-size SD card adapter that will enable you to read your micro-sd card in a standard size SD card reader. Once you have done that, make sure you can read the card with your PC. If you can't, you might have a faulty card. If you can, (I assume you have a PC, not a Mac), right click on the card in Windows and click properties. If the "File System" says FAT32, then it should work. If it says "NTFS", you need to format it to FAT 32. Use google to find instructions, you need to use c: DOS commands. Once you have figured that out, put the card back in your tablet. If you haven't rebooted your tablet with the card installed, do that also (completely shut down and power back up).

If you want to try a shortcut without testing the card's file system, then just get File Manager HD from the Android Market, reboot the tablet, and see if you can read the card. If not, try my suggestion above.

-----The best way to work with files on your tablet is to download a file manager from the android market. There are many that work well. I have two: File Manager HD and Root Explorer. File Manager HD is made for the tablet and is pretty easy to use. Root Explorer requires a rooted tablet for all of its functionality to work and costs $0.99. File Manager HD is free.
-----Assuming everything above went smoothly, you should be able to see the external sd card in File Manager HD. The default directory is the storage directory on the internal memory, so you need to go "UP" one directory, and the new card should be labeled "external_sd" (as opposed to the internal memory labeled "sdcard")
-----You can copy and paste files by tapping and holding until menu. tap "Edit", then "Copy". When you copy a file, the "Paste" option automatically appears on the top menu. If you want to move multiple files, tap "Multi", then the copy/cut/paste options all appear on top. tap as many items as you want to copy, then proceed to the folder you want to paste them in.

2. I have transferred pictures from Canon, Olympus, Casio, and Nikon camers on my A500 without any problem using File Manager HD. Plug your camera USB cord into the full-size USB port on the tab and use the file manager to go into the directory labeled "usb_storage". You should see your camera directory of folders. Copy and paste per the instructions above. This assumes that your camera's SD card is formatted as FAT32. Most SD cards are formatted this way. Should work. ClearFi and Nemo player are just players/viewers, not file managers. You need a file manager to move/download files and pics.

3. As mentioned in other comments above, the tablet can't read NTFS file systems. I believe there are ways to work around this with a rooted tablet, but I have not tried it. There are other options, though. I wouldn't reformat the drive to FAT32 unless it is mostly unused. If you have tons of files on it, you probably want to avoid reformatting it just so you can connect it to your tablet. Also, NTFS is a much more versatile file system that FAT 32, if you are using it with your PC as well as your tab. Your two best options are:

-----create a separate partition on your hard drive (using Windows it is pretty easy in the disk management tool. You will then need to re-format the new partition as FAT32 using DOS c: commands. in order to move files to and from the portable drive, you will first need to transfer them to the new FAT32 partition using your pc. (this option is best if you want to use the HDD as a portable supplemtary data storage source for your tablet. I did this on a two week trip to the UK, and it worked great)
-----copy files using your pc. use the cord that came with your iconia tab. Connect the micro-usb end to the tab and the standard USB end to the pc. You should be able to read and transfer files to and from the tab just like a drive or card. Windows 7 will automatically install the Acer USB driver that enables you to do this. If it doesn't, install the USB driver from the Acer website. (This is simpler that the first option, and if you don't want to have more portable data storage than a 16 or 32 gig card, then it is probably the better option.)

4. You should be able to play most types of video files. If they are HD, then you have to be careful about frame rates and format. Some HD files video will lag the audio. But give it a try. There were lots of threads about this early on. Look back in the archive, and you will find many discussions about playing video files. I believe the upgrades from 3.0 to 3.1 solved some of those issues.

Hope this helps.

mitchcool1

Aug 24, 2011
Dan that is the best reply ever, cheers M8, that has mad much more sense to me now..will try all the above and get back to you. Going to try taking the micro card back to the shop and try other ones, if not then try a micro card reader...Thanks once again..

mitchcool1

Aug 24, 2011
Cheers again Dan, have taken my micro sd back to the shop and they replaces it with one that now works also with a reader for free:)....

All is good, i can now see my Ext MSD and also have copied most AVI's to a Fat32 usb and then copied then to my Ext MSD and can now watch movies etc etc...

Cheers for the full description, i am now a happy android user.. Wonder how many time this gets asked for a newbie android user, should be sticky thread..Cheers

rkjoshi10

Aug 27, 2011
Dear all,
I am from India
Pl clarify
1.whether the samsung or soni tabs can be bought in india for narmal PC uses.
2.whether the tab which is brought be used for any operater !
3.whether samsung or soni is operater neutral.
4.Which is better tab cdma or gsm since data is better on cadma as per general perseption.

thanks