Honeycomb To Have Minimum Specs; Require HD and Dual Core

tecwizrd

Aug 10, 2010
Stanglx: The Ipad does not use a Linux kernel. As far as I know, nothing but Linux distributions and Android use the linux kernel. I know this because, the kernel is licensed under Gpl v2. That means that they would have to release the code for the Ipad kernel, if not the whole OS.

Sorry for the anal post about this. Just a pet peave. It's like saying Windows 7 uses the Linux kernel.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Tablet Forum App

stanglx

Jan 4, 2011
Well you are correct technically but I was using it figuratively since Linux derived from Unix... Mac OS, iPhone, iPad, etc. all use the Darwin architecture which is derived from BSD couple with some NextOS... BSD today is at the iPhone's/Mac OS core... If we are to compare BSD with FreeBSD they are pretty much the same with some imposed limitations on FreeBSD.. If we compare FreeBSD to other flavors of Linux (Red Hat, Suse, Android, etc.) again it is hard pressed at the core to find differences. All the fundamentals are there from Memory Management all the way to Network management..

Soooo net net... yes you are technically correct but the point I was making still holds ... And if it doesn't then I guess you are saying that a Unix distro still out perform Linux distro?

Stanglx: The Ipad does not use a Linux kernel. As far as I know, nothing but Linux distributions and Android use the linux kernel. I know this because, the kernel is licensed under Gpl v2. That means that they would have to release the code for the Ipad kernel, if not the whole OS.

Sorry for the anal post about this. Just a pet peave. It's like saying Windows 7 uses the Linux kernel.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Tablet Forum App

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
This is just a rehash of an old story. I don't think it has any merit to it.

Android will be opensource. Anyone will be able to build it for their platform.

Official Google Mobile application support is another story, but I don't see how this will be a problem.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
i didnt understand what quished ment lol was making a comment about the spelling XD

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

quash   
[kwosh] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
to put down or suppress completely; quell; subdue: to quash a rebellion.
to make void, annul, or set aside (a law, indictment, decision, etc.).

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
Haha I've never heard of that word. I learn more and more from this site :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk