How's Your WiFi Doing?

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I recently "upgraded" my cable modem service from 15Mbps/1Mbps to 50Mbps/5Mbps (i.e Download/Upload speed). Over the years, my ISP had raised my monthly fee and not increased my speed, so I called them and compared them to others for the price I was paying, and I got an "upgrade".

I now get close to the advertised speed I am paying for, but it wasn't that way initially with their new DOCSIS 3 cable modem, until I called my ISP Tech Support and they tweaked something from their end.

e5uhu6e3.jpg

I hope your ISP is delivering what they are billing you for.

Note: Bandwidth speed tests can use a lot of data (60MB or more per run? ), if you are on some kind of limited mobile data plan.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Natey2

May 25, 2012
My 4G/LTE speed, as a comparison to the Wi-Fi:
byna8y4y.jpg

So it would be faster for me to upload large files (pics, videos, etc) using my mobile data plan than using my Wi-Fi.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
So it would be faster for me to upload large files (pics, videos, etc) using my mobile data plan than using my Wi-Fi.

Definitely faster, but perhaps more expensive if you exceed your data limits.:confused:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I have an unlimited data plan with T-Mobile now.
Verizon didn't allow me to continue with my unlimited data plan and had offered me a 6GB plan. I've never really used over 5GB, so that might have sufficed.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
My solution for large files is less elegant than yours. I start the D/L and go make a cup of coffee, the D/L is always done by the time I get back.:rolleyes:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I tend to upload pics and videos I shoot from my phone straight to the cloud (Dropbox, usually) these days. They are safer in the cloud than on my device, and once in the cloud, I can access them from my Tablet and PC as well.
When I didn't have this kind of mobile bandwidth previously, I'd come back home, hook up my phone to my computer via USB and upload the pics and videos to my PC, and let my PC back them up to the cloud per the regular backup schedule. Sometimes a week or more would go by with stuff on my phone that was not backed up to my PC, and once, my SD card got partially corrupted and I lost some videos I had shot that had not been backed up :(
Hi def videos tend to be quite large, and this 13MP camera creates larger pic files too, not that I necessarily need such high definition in many instances.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
The state of Public WiFi Access at a fast food place that shall remain anonymous :(

bydagere.jpg

I guess I won't be watching Netflix here after all...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk