Nov 26, 2010

Attachments

• $hp-touchpad1-300x225.jpg
    $hp-touchpad1-300x225.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
When Android first came out everyone said that it was doomed as well. You never know but I don't think that there is room for another mobile OS out there.

jpfx

Dec 26, 2010
HP may be fighting RIM for corporate business with the touchpad.
not having android is an advantage in that case and the price point is not an issue.

fbales

May 5, 2010
When Android first came out everyone said that it was doomed as well. You never know but I don't think that there is room for another mobile OS out there.

I agree, you never know what will click with people, however I do believe HP will have to be aggressive promoting it. They are the largest PC company, so they have the resources to do that, plus there are a lot of people who remember their Palms with fondness, myself included. Still, if the price is too high, that would be a bad sign.

Frank
Chrome Cr 48 notebook
MV Cruz reader
Palm TX (I still use it)

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
HP sounds like they have big plans for Palm's WebOS and have even hinted at desktop and laptop systems running it. The real key, it seems, to a successful mobile OS is whether or not it attracts app developers. Arbitrary approval rules, a difficult SDK, fragmentation, the app store commerce system - there are a lot of factors that can keep a dev away from a platform.

WebOS wants to be super easy for people to create apps using the same web technologies that create dynamic web sites (Javascript, CSS, XHTML) and provides application hooks for Javascript into OS functions. That is definitely going to appeal to web developers who want to get into mobile app development using technologies they already know. However, those hooks also expose the inner workings of the OS to security issues malware will definitely try to exploit.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
[video]http://cdn.static.viddler.com/flash/as3/simple-publisher.swf?key=e3e2ad63&ref=[/video]

Engadget posted a nice video of their hands-on with the HP tablet running WebOS (if you're curious how it compares to Android)

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
It's all about cost right? XOOM tablet is amazing but costs too much right now. If this thing is 700 then it could fall in the same category.

I wonder what Galaxy 10.1 will be like. But they have no USB which seems like fail to me

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I don't think WebOS will doom it by itself... it appears to be a nice Mobile OS. I'm saying that it will help doom it as it's not ANDROID, which is becoming a big name right now. "Android Tablets"....

I honestly believe this tablet will fail in the general consumer market, BUT... will probably sell quite well to the business/corporate market.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
how much is the developers support / apps for this platform ?

Presently not very much. The total number of apps is estimated around just 4,000 but it is also a chicken-and-egg thing: popular mobile OS gets apps and apps make the mobile OS popular.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
. . .oh, and HP says it is also backwards compatible and can run older "mojo" based apps in an emulation mode.