HSG MIDX5 Android, Yet Another Telechips TCC8902 Android 2.1 7" Tablet

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
SD7ti.jpg

CORRECTION: No built-in G-sensor in current batches, but the another HSG variant, possibly still labeled as the MIDX5a, are to come with built-in G-sensor and GPS (source BBS at mid123)

We have stumbled upon yet another Telechips TCC8902 based 7" tablet via HKEPC, a popular Hong Kong discussion forum, this time coming from HSG (Huashiguang) of Shenzhen, the MIDX5A. There's been a lot of devices being released with the Telechips TCC8902 chipset lately.

HSG was a company specializing in Windows based devices, and this is its first Android based device. They appear to have adapted their previously WinCE 7" platform to run Android 2.1.

This is not the same as the Phaeda P7, which has not been shipping yet. The main external differences include the metallic outer casing and button layout.

While it ships with the Android market, it has the same issues as the Augen Gentouch - stuck downloads. Despite having no 3G module support, it is also showing signal bars. This does indicate an unpolished implementation of Android.

It is shipping for 1050RMB (150US) locally. Here's a local listing on Taobao, also listing the WinCE variants. Here it has been branded as the MID700, it is a generic device. I have been advised to be cautious about this model by my sources, so please use your digression wisely.

HKEPC users have mentioned 2 hours of battery life on wifi, and 9 hours of standby time.

HSG also appears to be working on a model with an internal GPS module. There will continue to be Telechips TCC8902 based Android devices in the coming weeks. However, they will vary in build quality, battery life, and completeness of their Android 2.1 implementation.

About screen screenshot:
rRctA.jpg

Stuck downloads on Android market, from HKEPC:
maOAvl.jpg

Specifications
Telechips TCC8902 CPU (ARM11) at 800 MHz (unconfirmed)
Android 2.1
7" 800×480 resistive display
G-sensor
Video decoding support up to 1080p
HDMI/TV Out
USB hosting
4GB ROM
Android 2.1
256MB RAM
3.5mm headset jack
USB hosting

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
All Telechips TCC8902 seem to be slated for a future Android 2.2 update, but I wouldn't count on it being any good.

It's more about getting the most of what you have. At $150 this isn't so bad.

sandy

Dec 12, 2010
I want a 7 or 10" pad with a complete built in GPS, or companion GPS antenna that will run Google Maps or Navionics Marine Charts. Where should I look?

arab520

Dec 24, 2010
tried to download navionics on my flypad tablet but would not download. contacted navionics and they state version will not work on tablets at the moment. only on certain phones