Huawei - Ideos S7 Tablet - White-Next Gen at BBuy?

Zeve

May 4, 2011
The guy who made the Youtube video also says he had initially problems to connecto to the Market. He says he had to reinitiate it twice to get it on.

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
I tried that. I shut it off and the capacitive buttons remained lit. I couldn't get it to turn on again. After fighting with the back cover to get it off, I pulled the battery, put it back and turned the unit on. This time, instead of being told I didn't have a reliable data connection (it's a WiFi only model, not 3G even though there was a voice dialer app there) I am told there's an error and to try again later. I returned it to BestBuy today hoping to exchange for another unit and see if that had the same problems, but they didn't have any in stock so I just got a refund and maybe I'll give it a try again when they have them in stock, or I'll find something else.

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
I tried that. I shut it off and the capacitive buttons remained lit. I couldn't get it to turn on again. After fighting with the back cover to get it off, I pulled the battery, put it back and turned the unit on. This time, instead of being told I didn't have a reliable data connection (it's a WiFi only model, not 3G even though there was a voice dialer app there) I am told there's an error and to try again later. I returned it to BestBuy today hoping to exchange for another unit and see if that had the same problems, but they didn't have any in stock so I just got a refund and maybe I'll give it a try again when they have them in stock, or I'll find something else.

Sure sounds like you had the first gen unit or a wrong firmware installed on a 2nd gen unit, my second gen unit has no dialer, does your unit have a green and red hardware keys for phone?

Last edited:

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
I got the newer "Slim" model. I know what the 1st Gen unit looks like. I had the 2nd Gen "Slim". The Voice Dialer app was hidden in some settings menu. I don't remember where but it wasn't in the Apps section. I think it may have been in the VPN settings. That's the last thing I remember looking at when I found it.

BillB

May 20, 2011
I just bought the S7 Slim from BB and have been playing around with it for few days. The Market problems are solved with Factory Reset. The reset fixes a couple other annoying software/firmware issues as well. But, you get what you pay for. This is a "Huawei" product afterall. For a $300 tablet... it works great.

WiFi is okay, browser and internet performance is adequate, screen is responsive, all android apps work. Both cameras are horrible and grainy, but almost adequate to do quick skype calls. All in all, i would rate is a good worthwhile buy. And about the 3G version... i found out that only the WiFi only version is available in US. 3G version available elsewhere... whenever they start to ship.

If you want more, get a Xoom, iPad, Playbook, or Iconia... the best of those categories, but also pay MUCH more from 500 to 800 bucks.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I just bought the S7 Slim from BB and have been playing around with it for few days. The Market problems are solved with Factory Reset. The reset fixes a couple other annoying software/firmware issues as well. But, you get what you pay for. This is a "Huawei" product afterall. For a $300 tablet... it works great.

WiFi is okay, browser and internet performance is adequate, screen is responsive, all android apps work. Both cameras are horrible and grainy, but almost adequate to do quick skype calls. All in all, i would rate is a good worthwhile buy. And about the 3G version... i found out that only the WiFi only version is available in US. 3G version available elsewhere... whenever they start to ship.

If you want more, get a Xoom, iPad, Playbook, or Iconia... the best of those categories, but also pay MUCH more from 500 to 800 bucks.

Actually 16GB, 10.1" Dual Core Tegra Asus Transformers and Galaxy Tabs will start at $400 pressing the price point down such that the price gap afforded by the Huawei design compromises (e.g., screen size/quality, lack of Honeycomb, small internal memory) and lack of accessory support will rapidly shrink. IOW - for the S7 slim to provide the same value its predecessor provided back in the day (November 2010) vs. the competition, they are going to need to lower the S7 price down to at least $199. I was thankful to be able to affordably get a taste of the tablet experience with my S7-104 late last year but have now moved on to the Galaxy tab, 7" and hope to get my hands on a Honeycomb tab later this year. Thanks Huawei, it was a fun, but short ride. You might have kept me
longer with some accessories and perhaps an officially backed upgrade to Froyo, but you focused on the next gen tab and stranded your loyal first adopter fan base. So long.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Funny, the thing that drew me to my S7 was the fact that it is a phone on top of a decent tablet. I might even have considered the Slim if it were also a phone, but really the Galaxy Tab wifi for maybe $50 more is a superior tablet in some ways, but some of its features like a higher rez screen sometimes works against it because it is running Froyo, though I hear Gingerbread was officially released for it. The Galaxy tab screen is pretty and add Gorilla Glass to the mix and it is pretty sweet.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Higuys!

I was busy for a while, but I'm back. I also have a new S7-201W 'Slim.'

Mine has (the GPS settings,) a nice, sharp(er) main camera, capacitive screen, and an HDMI port. It even has a "Docking Port." Unfortunately, there was no 3G symbol on the box, but there was a SIM card slot inside, with a little bit of black foam filling the slot.

Will this device work with Zeam Launcher??

Problem #1:
The O.S. says it has 2.2.2, but the AppBrain system app says mine has 2.1. Could it be referring to my old device?

Problem #2:
I used it for a while yesterday and re-installed some stuff, like Zeam Launcher, and it seemed to be working fine yesterday. I was able to turn it off the usual way...

Today, after breakfast, I sat down to pick up with the S7, and pressed the power button.....

I got the screen to turn on, and there were two tab-like things. One from the top, and one from the bottom. The top one had a speaker icon and an arrow pointing down. The bottom 'tab' had a unlock icon with a little arrow pointing up. The Google Android 2.2 manual refers to these as phone controls.

Tapping on anything was of no use, to wake up the device. It seems THE SCREEN IS NOW DEAD. Tapping on anything does nothing, an the menu/Home buttons are useless.

I was not able to turn the device off either, using the usual way. When I tried to tap the Shut own bar, NOTHING HAPPENED. I had to remove the battery to turn the device off.

So I managed to download a comprehensive user guide, because you only get a Quick-Start guide on the box, and went through it. It does not mention how to deal with this stuff, or what those lock and speaker tabs are for.

Question:
The quick-start guide says do NOT connect the device to a PC to charge battery. The supplied charge adapter has a USB port on it, and it states output is 5V @2A ( like our car chargers do) and the supplied charge cable has a USB connector and a charge plug on the other end? Huawei tech says you could burn up the USB circuit on the PC, trying to deliver 2A. I will agree on that.

I think I will be on the phone to Huawei later today, as I have no work job (today.) I expect them to just tell to return the device, which I would rather not do, as I have all my apps installed now. 1-877 4-HUAWEI

Last edited:

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
The slim does not work with any downloadable launchers. Many threads here about it. It will disable touch screen.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 Slim using Android Tablet Forum

Music

Feb 5, 2011
So it seems Huawei has been listening to our complaints AND reading the discussions about the S7? It looks like they kept most of the good things, fixed the camera, disabled the phone, and jammed up the OS, so we can't fool with (improve) things.

firesignal

Aug 8, 2011
Hi!

I have a s7 s 201 w.
I upgrade with sd card,but coulometer firmware upgrade failed.
Anybody can to send a good firmware ?
Thanks!

CooCkie

Jan 23, 2011
I used the US Best Buy Firmware B016, works great for me, never experienced any problem...

Sent from my IDEOS S7-201W

kosenn

Oct 6, 2011
Make sure your battery has a good charge before you try to upgrade. I did update with the sc card also, but I did with the AC adapter plugged in and the battery removed. I got the same error message, coulometer upgrade failed. I put the battery back in and rebooted and it upgraded fine with no further problems.