I have just a simple question about dual booting my NC

sdv0390

Nov 2, 2011
Hello All

I've been able to succesfully install CM7 onto my NC as well as a few apps from the Android Market.

Is there a way to switch between the android OS and the stock Nook OS on the fly? I like using the Nook as a tablet with Android apps, but I also really like the standard reader included with the Nook. Right now I'm running CM7 from an SD card. Do I need to take out the SD card everytime I want to use the Nook OS? Or can I use something like ADW Launcher to switch between the two?

This seems like a fairly straightforward question, but I have been unable to find a simple answer. Thanks to all who contribute.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The easy answer is there is no way to switch on the fly. The best you can do is modify your boot to give you a choice of what you want to boot so you can leave the SD card in place. Standard procedure would be to remove or install the bootable SD card depending on what you want to boot into. You don't have to remove the card entirely, just flip the cover and eject the card a little and then press back in once the internal boot has started.

Most people find that the benfits of the custom ROMs outwiegh the default reader after a little use (the B&N Andorid app is ok but could be better).

Either way you have to reboot so I don't really see one being an advantage over the other. With a little practice you can be just as quick physically ejecting the card as picking from a boot menu. It is the reboot that takes the time.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I have found that the SD card slot is a little fragile in the Nook and any consistent removing and installing a card may well end with a broken slot. My recommendation would be to have a boot option on the card so you can leave it in the device or just replace the stock ROM with CM7. :)