Iconia Randomly Wakes-up from Standby

tehoaislimau

May 29, 2011
Hi
I have been using my tablet for a almost a week now.
I have been noticing when i put my iconia into standby, maybe whist im having dinner or watching tv, i notice its waking up from sleep into the lock screen and then turn off again. This probably happens a few times every hour.

Do other notice this? or is this an app that I launched doing this?

I am at 1.139.04 build.

Also, why is it that in standby Iconia leaves the ON/OFF button LED lighted up.
I would expect that to save maximum battery, all LEDs would be turned off.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The light is off when you unplug it. You did remember to unplug it, right?

Also the button lights up briefly when tasks are being performed, such as incoming mail, downloads, music playing etc, even when the the tablet is asleep.

Also I believe the switch lights up periodically when you have unattended notifications.

Last edited:

tehoaislimau

May 29, 2011
The light is off when you unplug it. You did remember to unplug it, right?

Also the button lights up briefly when tasks are being performed, such as incoming mail, downloads, music playing etc, even when the the tablet is asleep.

Also I believe the switch lights up periodically when you have unattended notifications.

Seriously? Cause my ON/OFF button LED light is always on?
I don't think I have any notifications. And yes, I have made sure that its not plugged into the charger. Now this really bugs me, anybody else seeing this problem?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yup it should be off most of the time.
If not, I would start killing tasks and sleeping the tablet after each kill till you find what is keeping it awake.

ManuelAngelPR

Jun 2, 2011
Just opened a ticket at Acer. Will post back with the answer.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Question Reference #110610-000728
---------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: Hi
I have been using my tablet for a almost a week
now.
I have been noticing whe...
Product Level 1: Tablet
Product Level 2: ICONIA Tab
Product Level 3: A500
Category Level 1: Malfunctioning
Category Level 2: Other
Date Created: 06/09/2011 04:20 PM
Last Updated: 06/09/2011 04:20 PM
Operating System:

Model Number

Auto-Response - 06/09/2011 04:20 PM
Title: How do I charge the battery in my computer?
Link: Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I charge the battery in my computer?

Title: How do I maintain and store my notebook battery?
Link: Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I maintain and store my notebook battery?

Title: How do I install or replace the battery on my Acer Aspire One AOA-150 netbook?
Link: Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I install or replace the battery on my Acer Aspire One AOA-150 netbook?

Title: How do I install or replace the battery on my notebook or netbook?
Link: Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I install or replace the battery on my notebook or netbook?

Title: How do I install or replace the battery on my notebook?
Link: Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I install or replace the battery on my notebook?

Customer (Manuel) - 06/09/2011 04:20 PM
Hi
I have been using my tablet for a almost a week now.
I have been noticing when I put my iconia into standby, it wakes up from sleep into the lock screen and then turn off again, it doen't matter if its charging or not. This probably happens a about every 5 to 6 min. If I leave th tablet on standby overnight the battery % will be reduced greatly and would see my whole bedroom illuminated.

Things I have done to troubleshoot problem:

-factory reset (no apps installation) (problem stills)

-It's not an issue with the wifi policy, I've changed it to every setting and still have this issue

build_number 1.104.02_com_gen1 (i ve checked for updates but none)

I have been researching in various forums in the internet and it seems to be a common problem. Also noticed that some users reported build version higher than mine (Why?)

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...p-standby.html

http://androidforums.com/acer-tablet...mode-wifi.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1058488

I am sorry but if you cannot give a solution to this problem now I will have to return the tablet to the store.

Respectfully

Manny

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think that EVERY ONE OF YOU people having this issue should open a ticket to ACER and demand your rights, If not Acer will never know about issues and bugs like this will never be solved.

(ps Check the auto-response part, it makes me so MAD)
My 2 cents.

ManuelAngelPR

Jun 2, 2011
Check out the answer from these people:

Dear Manuel Rivera,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Sumesh, badge number GWSI673. I'll be happy to assist you.

From your mail, I understand that your computer wakes up from sleep into the lock screen and then turn off again

I understand your concern. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

As per our records your computer is covered under Standard Limited Warranty.

Manuel, Iconia Tab A500 may automatically wake from suspend mode. This issue may occur when the tablet is connecting to a Wi-Fi router that also has another PC connected to it. While in suspend mode the tablet may receive a signal from the other PC and wake up. It will return to suspend mode once the screen timeout occurs, but may wake again later if it receives another signal and this is a software issue that will be resolved with a future software update. You can also turn off the Wi-Fi connection in order to stop system automatically wake from suspend mode.

I hope the above information was helpful.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site Acer Support: Welcome to Acer Support

Have a great day!

Respectfully,

Acer America

Online Technical Support.

Which means its a confirmation its a bug with the WFI. The guy even recommended turning off the WIFI to prevent this. What a joke!!!

I really don't want to return the tablet, I like it a lot. But if it comes between waiting for fix from acer or my return time expiration, I will return it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Folks, don't bother reporting this problem for older versions of the software. If you don't have 1.141.07 you will continue to see
this. Those of us that had this issue saw it totally disappear when the 141 release appeared. There is nothing wrong with your hardware.
Its simply a software issue.

Its not a big issue. Its not even a big battery drain.

This will go away when we get honeycomb 3.1 which was promised to be released this month some time.
So don't worry about this, and certainly don't rush out and return the tablet because of this tiny issue, because
it will go away when the upgrade comes. If you return the tablet, you will have to get another one, of the same or
different brand, and you will find minor issues with EVERY tablet on the market.

Wait for the software fix.

And ManuelAngel: stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. Seriously, this is a tiny minor flaw that causes you no harm.
It will be fixed by the end of the month.

ManuelAngelPR

Jun 2, 2011
Folks, don't bother reporting this problem for older versions of the software. If you don't have 1.141.07 you will continue to see
this. Those of us that had this issue saw it totally disappear when the 141 release appeared. There is nothing wrong with your hardware.
Its simply a software issue.

Its not a big issue. Its not even a big battery drain.

This will go away when we get honeycomb 3.1 which was promised to be released this month some time.
So don't worry about this, and certainly don't rush out and return the tablet because of this tiny issue, because
it will go away when the upgrade comes. If you return the tablet, you will have to get another one, of the same or
different brand, and you will find minor issues with EVERY tablet on the market.

Wait for the software fix.

And ManuelAngel: stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. Seriously, this is a tiny minor flaw that causes you no harm.
It will be fixed by the end of the month.

I am sorry that you think that way, but when I spend my hard earn dinero on a gadget I expect a good experience out of it, not wasting my time looking for solution for a bug that should not be there in the first place.

Well, for me it is " mountain out of a mole hill" and that's prerogative, not getting the maximum battery life from my device is sub par (not to mention the constant ilumination of my whole bedroom during night).

Why I can't get 1.141.07 like everybody thru the ota? Don't you think that Acer's updates should get to everybody equally, don't you think there is something flawed here?

ps I get you mean "This will go away when we get honeycomb 3.1". By posting these I just wanted to make a point to the community this is a bug and not an error caused by something they did.

peace

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
(not to mention the constant ilumination of my whole bedroom during night).

peace

Can't you just turn it off at night instead of asleep? If I'm not going to be accessing any of my programs for a while I just turn the unit off ... battery lasts so much longer. ;)

My emergency-type stuff is on my phone ... and I can wait the 30 seconds it takes for the tablet to turn on before doing anything.

I'm not treating your issue lightly ... I'm glad you asked because I've noticed the same thing. I see it as something that I would like changed, but nothing that's going to get my panties in a twist in the meantime! (Oh, and same with the 1.141.... update ... I don't have it ... I don't miss it. I loved the tablet when I bought it, I love it today. If folks were reporting grand improvements and changes I might be a bit miffed ... but most don't even see any changes.)