Jelly Bean Begins Rolling Out to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_2_7_Press_Image.jpg

If you are the proud owner of a carrier-free WIFI Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (a very highly underrated device), you might be thrilled to learn that Jelly Bean is now rolling out for your device. Of course OTA updates as large as this one tend to go in clusters, so it might be a few days until you get yours. For now it just started in France. Here's a quote with some more details,

If you’re in France and have a WiFi Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, you can manually check for the update by going into your settings menu an clicking “About phone”, then “System updates”. The update is also available via Samsung Kies.

Source: TalkAndroid

IanK

Nov 24, 2012
I've just spent an hour talking to Samsung muppets and was unable to get an aswer to the above. No mention of the 7" getting it. See below:

Samantha :[SIZE=+0] Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today? [/SIZE]
Visitor: Hi Can you please tell me when Jelly Bean will download to my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Samantha :[SIZE=+0] May I know the model number of your Tab?[/SIZE]
Visitor: It's a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 16GB wifi (It's not in front of me sorry).
Samantha :[SIZE=+0] It is okay.[/SIZE]
Samantha :[SIZE=+0] Did you purchase the Tab in U.S?[/SIZE]
Visitor: Yep. in July.
Samantha :[SIZE=+0] Thank you.[/SIZE]
Visitor: It's a GT-P5113
Samantha :[SIZE=+0] Thank you.[/SIZE]
Samantha :[SIZE=+0] I am sorry to inform you that, we in chat support troubleshoot technical issues related to mobile phones, we are not sure about Wi-Fi tabs. However I will transfer this chat to specific department.[/SIZE]
info: Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited Samsung Agent.
info: You are now chatting with 'Vince'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402076919X
Vince:[SIZE=+0] Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?[/SIZE]
Visitor: Hi Vince, when will Jelly Bean download to my GT-P5113 ?
Vince:[SIZE=+0] As of now the jelly bean is not yet released for your model. [/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] If the app is released, the information will be updated on the Samsung website under news section.[/SIZE]
Visitor: I know. That's why I'm asking the question! Someone at Samsung must have plan! Please find out.
Visitor: It's been available since July!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am really sorry; we do not have the exact release date of the update.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Someone must have an idea!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] We can not provide you the false expectations.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] If it is released, it will be updated on the Samsung website under News section.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Do you have any idea of how disappointing vague support like tihs is! What's the delay?
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I understand your frustration.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am really sorry; we can not provide you the false expecations.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] * expectations.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry; I couldn’t help you fix the issue over the chat. Is there anything else I might be able to assist you with?[/SIZE]
Visitor: Being sorry doesn't help. I just want to know when I can get it. It's very frustrating knowing better software is available but I can't have it for no reason. Apple treat there customers better than this!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am sure, the information will be updated as early as possible on the website. [/SIZE]
Visitor: That doesn't help! Can I please escalate this issue to your supervisor!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] You will get the same information from him as the update is not released yet.[/SIZE]
Visitor: I know that. Do you think it fair to keep customers in the dark like this?
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I can understand your concern, but it is not possible to provide you the false expectations. [/SIZE]
Visitor: I was planning on buying another but if you're unable to answer this basic question why on earth would I stay with Samsung!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am really sorry; as of now we do not have the information about the exact release date of the jelly bean update.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Can you give me directions to my nearest Apple Store?
Visitor: Your product webpage states: "Powerful, Smart and Easy to Use A dual core processor, the latest Android platform, " Clearly not true!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am really sorry for the inconvenience.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry; I couldn’t help you fix the issue over the chat. Is there anything else I might be able to assist you with?[/SIZE]
Visitor: Is it correct to lie to customers: Your product webpage states: "Powerful, Smart and Easy to Use A dual core processor, the latest Android platform, " Clearly not true!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] But, we can not provide you the false information. [/SIZE]
Visitor: It's must be really rewarding doing your job! Are you actually a person or am I talkng to a robot?
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am a real person and my name is Vinc.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry for the typo.[/SIZE]
Vince:[SIZE=+0] * Vince.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Do you personally own any Samsung products?
Vince:[SIZE=+0] I can understand your frustration as a customer, but I am really sorry; as of now the the jelly bean update is not released.[/SIZE]
Visitor: SO you can't even answer simple questions. I'm not convinced you're not a robot!
Vince:[SIZE=+0] If you wish, I can transfer the chat to my supervisor. [/SIZE]
Visitor: Yeah, winner. Is he a robot!
Visitor: Please do.
info: Please wait while I transfer the chat to 'Rick S'.
info: You are now chatting with 'Rick S'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402076919X
Visitor: Hi Rick, 'Vince the robot' doesn't know if he owns any Samsung products? Do you?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Hi. [/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Would you mind waiting while I check your chat with Vince?[/SIZE]
Visitor: Yes, certainly.
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Thank you.[/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Thanks for waiting.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Are you going to delight me?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I understand your concern about the unavailability of the Jelly Bean update for your Tab.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Yeah. Please tell me some good news!
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I am going through our resources for information.[/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] We would really love to tell you a good news, but we see that the Jelly Bean update is not available for your model yet, and we do not have any information about its availability.[/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I understand as a customer would be eager to have the new Andriod on your Tab, but it is not available for your tab.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Can you at least tell me why it's taking so long and why Samsung (who I used to think were market leaderss with Android) seem to think it acceptable to wait so long. The hardware isn't even 6 months old and JB is available on the note tablet. Can I return my product for a FULL refund then?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I am really sorry to say that we do not have an exact reason for the delay, and we would like to set any incorrect expectations about it. [/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Samsung's warranty provide warranty of parts and labor for the Tab only. [/SIZE]
Visitor: Do you not agree that it's pathetic for hardware less than 6 months old to be virtually obsolete then! As a consumer I don't. How do I escalate this further?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I understand your concern, I can take this feedback and forward it to the appropriate team.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Yes, I guess they're too busy working on new products. Samsung are going to loose customers with this approach. As you'll see earlier I was planning on getting another Tab 2 a gift for my wife as I like mine soo much. But if JB's not coming. I'll not bother.
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I appreciate your interest in Samsung products.[/SIZE]
Visitor: At least my tablet can still be used as a cutting board in the kitchen!
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Samsung considers as a valued customer, though I can not confirm but I believe your concern will be addressed.[/SIZE]
Visitor: I really don't think you do! I'll be posting all of the above on as many Android forums I can! I hope Samsung learn from this as your products are great.
Visitor: Ii will be here: Android Police - Android News, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets shortly.
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I respect your comments, I would like to reassure that Samsung puts customers as high priority.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Talks cheap, actions speak louder than words. How will I actually know you've done what you've said you will do?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I agree that actions talk louder than words. As soon as information is available about JB it will be posted on our website.[/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I appreciate your cooperation and patience.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Are you a robot? As you keep 'spitting' out glib heartless comments?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I am not a robot. I am just trying to convey the information that we have about the new version.[/SIZE]
Visitor: Hey that's good news. Please share. What information do you have about the new version!
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I mean, that there is no update about the release of this version for your Tab and when it becomes available it will be posted on the website.[/SIZE]
Visitor: WHAT! The information is that you've got no information?
Visitor: How about you send me a Galaxy Note Tab free of charge as a gesture of goodwill?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry, but we do not have an option provide free Galaxy Note to you.[/SIZE]
Visitor: I've not got an option to buy any more Samsung products then. Does Psy (of Gangnam style fame) work at Samsung?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] No, he doesn't work for us.[/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry; I couldn’t help you fix the issue over the chat. Is there anything else I might be able to assist you with?[/SIZE]
Visitor: I'll have to go now as my Mum's taking me to McD for diner. You have a great day.
Visitor: She says I can't work for Samsung when I leave school. She thinks I'm too smart.
Visitor: Did you go to any of your lessons at school?
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] I am afraid, we can not answer questions as they our of support scope.[/SIZE]
Rick S:[SIZE=+0] Shall we discontinue this chat session?[/SIZE]

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I sure hope these service reps get paid well, I would get fired after just one of these phone calls.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

scottfish

May 25, 2011
And while the folks at Samsung we're harassed with false threats of "not buying a second tab" and "buying an apple product" for an hour, three people were distracted from helping folks with real issues.