KitKat reaches 1.1 percent of Android devices in one month

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Summary: Android 4.4 is outpacing Android 4.3 Jelly Bean by about two months.

By Liam Tung |December 3, 2013 -- 13:16 GMT (05:16 PST)

Android 4.4 aka KitKat is now on 1.1 percent of Android devices, according to figures from Google.

The search giant publishes an update each month on its developer dashboard on how the various Android versions are doing, worked out by counting the distribution of different versions of Android platforms according to visits to the Google Play store over the preceding week. This month's numbers, for the week leading up to 2 December, are the first time KitKat could have appeared in the dashboard, following its release on 31 October.

KitKat is just behind the oldest OS tracked by Google, Android 2.2 Froyo, which runs on 1.6 percent of Android devices. Still in top spot is Jelly Bean (4.1, 4.3 and 4.3), which powers 54.5 percent of Androids, followed by Gingerbread at 24.1 percent and Ice Cream Sandwich on 18.6 percent.

2013-12-03-12-59-39-pm-620x307.png

Android distribution in late November. Image: Google KitKat reaching 1.1 percent after one month is relatively quick compared to the released of Android 4.3, which arrived in July on the new Nexus 7, but its first appearance in the developer dashboard came in October's figures, when it notched up 1.5 percent of devices. Android 4.3 climbed to 4.2 percent of all Androids this month, no doubt thanks the arrival of Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 and HTC's rollout of the OS to the HTC One. Android 4.3 should go even higher once Samsung finishes distributing 4.3 to Galaxy S4, S3 and Note 2 devices.

KitKat should also rise in coming months as handset makers and carriers begin to push out the new OS. Besides the Nexus 5, which shipped with KitKat, the OS is currently only available for the Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, the Google Play Editions of Samsung's Galaxy S4 and HTC's One and Moto X devices in the US.

HTC has scheduled its KitKat roll out for HTC One in the new year, and Sony will deliver KitKat to its Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z Ultra, and Xperia Z1 devices. Verizon also plans to deliver KitKat to the Moto X, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, Droid Mini, though it hasn't given a timeframe for when it will arrive.

techmind48

Feb 10, 2012
Liam Tung

Good to hear that Kit Kat Android OS has quickly picked up and will be in available all the latest Android Smartphones and Tablets.

I have one query.

I recently purchased ASUS ******** Model K004 (ME 371MG) with Android OS 4.1.

Is it possible to upgrade my Tablet to Kit Kat 4.4 on my Tablet, If so how to do this?

waiting for your reply

A. S. Bhasker Raj
Bangalore
India
Mobile: +919590150505

edap

Dec 12, 2012
My Samsung GALAXY S3, which launched last year with Jellybean 4.1, received an update last week to 4.3 and is scheduled to get the KitKat 4.4 OS in March-April 2014, thank you.