Low budget 3G supported tablet with long battery life

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
Hia,

I did post on the "I wanna..." thread but no-one was looking there!

I'm just trying to find a robust Android tablet for my Dad, which needs:
- Long battery life (long as possible because he'll be using it 'on the move')
- Support 3G (he has a USB dongle with his main carrier)
- Under $200

I'm not bothered about OS versions (should I be?) - it's mainly to be an eReader but with access to Marketplace so that he can play around with some other apps. I'm not overly fussed about Flash either, and there's no need at all for a camera or game support.

I'll be setting it up and loading it with eBooks etc before I give it to him, so I don't mind doing a bit of manual upgrading / installing / converting.

So I was looking at the eMatic: JR.com: Ematic E-GLIDE Android Mobile Internet Tablet - Strawberry in Portable Tablet PCs which has very mixed reviews on here.

Or there's a very cheap one on eBay: 7 " MID VIA 8650 Android 2.2 Tablet PC WiFi Camera Flash 10.1 YouTube Kindle 2GB | eBayoth of them support 3G, but they both seem to have really poor battery lives.

So what should I be looking to get?

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
P.S. Delivery isn't a problem for me - I can either collect it from Boston during one of my work visits there, or get it straight to the UK... US tends to be much better value.

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
Or there's this option, which looks good on the page! Cerebro - Android 2.2 Tablet with 8 Inch Touchscreen + WiFi - US$ 99

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
Good good. So are any of my choices above (the eMatic, Cerebro or VIA8650) rubbish? Should I be avoiding any of them? Or have I miraculously made good choices on my own?

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
Does anyone know about these? I've never even touched a tablet before - I'm very nervous about ordering something without a bit of advice.

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
As far as I can tell, they have a WiFi receiver built in, but can also support a 3G USB dongle. My Dad's already got a 3G dongle so that's all he needs to be able to use the tablet where there's no access to broadband (i.e. whilst travelling).

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hia,

I did post on the "I wanna..." thread but no-one was looking there!

I'm just trying to find a robust Android tablet for my Dad, which needs:
- Long battery life (long as possible because he'll be using it 'on the move')
- Support 3G (he has a USB dongle with his main carrier)
- Under $200

I'm not bothered about OS versions (should I be?) - it's mainly to be an eReader but with access to Marketplace so that he can play around with some other apps. I'm not overly fussed about Flash either, and there's no need at all for a camera or game support.

I'll be setting it up and loading it with eBooks etc before I give it to him, so I don't mind doing a bit of manual upgrading / installing / converting.

So I was looking at the eMatic: JR.com: Ematic E-GLIDE Android Mobile Internet Tablet - Strawberry in Portable Tablet PCs which has very mixed reviews on here.

Or there's a very cheap one on eBay: 7 " MID VIA 8650 Android 2.2 Tablet PC WiFi Camera Flash 10.1 YouTube Kindle 2GB | eBayoth of them support 3G, but they both seem to have really poor battery lives.

So what should I be looking to get?
hi Badger, actually you can get a very decent tablet PC for around $200. and i think this one seems can fit your requirements: 7 inch Capacitive Screen Google Android 2.3 Tablet PC with SAMSUNG S5PV210 Processor 3D Game WiFi - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
hope you'll like it...