Major Storage Issue!

greyirishwolf

May 7, 2011
Major Storage Issues!
First off I am loving this tablet and have only had some minor buggy things happen with the exception of this one.

I woke up the other morning, turned on the tab and my device said I was out of storage! The night before I was only using about 1/4 usage. It states that it is being used by applications but this is not the case.

If I look at the storage statics in Storage HD (nice program) it states I have only 1.49 gig free (after I deleted some apps) however Music is using the most @ 507.01M. Next item is gameloft @ 265.53M and than 8.9M on the next.

Has anyone seen this? The only other thing I can think of is that I have encryption turned on but I have had that on for days before this happened. And I can't easily turn it off without wiping the device.

Thanks!​

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've seen this same thing from time to time on just about all android platforms.
It's almost always the browser that is at fault, and almost always fixed by a simple reboot.

I believe that it is simply the memory deallocation routine crashing, or the application failing to freemem due to some bug.
I have not seen this on the Internet yet.

rkka93

May 5, 2011
I had this happen on my 2nd day where it said I only had 256mb free. It even said the same thing when you hooked the tablet to the Computer and did a properties on the flash drive. Working with 2nd level tech support, we found a reboot and hardware reset (small reset hole on the Acer) did not resolve the problem. I had to do a factory data reset to get it to resolve. I didn't care because it was the 2nd day, but would have been a pain if I had a lot on it that I had to back up.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I am extremely pissed off because this JUST happened to me!
I was only using around 1GB of internal space and last night, installed the game "Spectral Souls" which requires about 1.5GB of space. After installing, everything was fine. I was now using around 3GB of internal space. I put the tablet to sleep and didnt come back to it until a while ago. Guess what? Suddenly the tablet said that I was using 13GB and had a message in the notifications bar saying that I was low on space! I restarted about 3 times, pressed the tiny reset button with a paper clip (did nothing but restart the unit) and then out of frustration, I did a factory reset. I couldnt even download MyBackup Pro because it wouldnt let me install anything off of the Market!!!!! SO I LOST ALL MY APP DATA (not files though... moved those to my SD card).

So, is there any way around this error and does anyone know what is causing it?
I really dont want to run into this problem again. Im actually afraid to reinstall Spectral SOuls... but it was $15 and cant refund it now.

[EDIT]
I reinstalled Spectral Souls and everything is back to the way the tablet was before I was forced to do the factory reset. With that said, I am using 1.16GB of Media space, 568MB of Applications (both of those are from the Storage section under Settings), and according to the Applications section under Settings, I am using 1.7GB of internal memory.

So, does anyone know what the fudge happened? I am so confused and paranoid now.

Last edited:

pentool

May 1, 2011
Serious issues like this should go to Acer. The more they know about this the more likely they will look into it.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I have tried emailing Acer about something else before I bought my tablet. I cannot figure out how to contact them on their site.

greyirishwolf

May 7, 2011
I just did a full reset. Running for over a week now but I am gun shy loading this thing up again! I still love this thing!

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I just did a full reset. Running for over a week now but I am gun shy loading this thing up again! I still love this thing!

I am basically in the same boat. Had to reset, and am not pretty paranoid about the system doing this again. I am making backups just about every other day (since when the problem happened, I couldn't even download any backup programs from the Market). (I too still love my tablet though).

Seriously though, if anyone can tell me how to email Acer, I would definitely notify them of this issue!
It's just that on their website, I can only find FAQs and ways to ask questions (I wouldn't classify this as a question though). No email address.

BTW, this issue may be a Honeycomb (OR even Tegra processors) problem though and not have anything to do with Acer. After searching around on the internet, I realized that Xoom people have experienced this issue and just now, Acer people are beginning to also experience it. Though, it isnt like a super common issue, meaning that probably out of 10 people, maybe only 1 or 2 people experience the problem.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Acer does reply to that question page from the website.
Just include your serial number and email.

My advice is to put your media on a microSD card and reserve as much main memory as possible.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Actually, all of my media is on either a microSD or an external HDD. I have about 10GB of internal storage free, so it isnt like I am running out of memory :/

BTW: odd thing I just noticed: I am using 2.16GB of media, 1.15GB of apps. Last night, I only had around 700MB of apps. What is going on here?
EDIT: After putting the tablet to sleep, and then powering back up, the app storage went back to around 700MB. Not sure why.

ALSO, I thought I was supposed to have a total of 16GB internal memory, not 12.71GB like the tablet says!

No matter what, I will still email Acer about the original bug I experienced.

Last edited:

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Actually, all of my media is on either a microSD or an external HDD. I have about 10GB of internal storage free, so it isnt like I am running out of memory :/

BTW: odd thing I just noticed: I am using 2.16GB of media, 1.15GB of apps. Last night, I only had around 700MB of apps. What is going on here?
ALSO, I thought I was supposed to have a total of 16GB internal memory, not 12.71GB like the tablet says!

No matter what, I will still email Acer about the original bug I experienced.

After Acer Tech Support helped solve my problem, I asked them about the 12.71GB since my tablet said the same thing. They said on any flash drive some storage is lost even from the get go (i.e. on any drive you never get the full amount on the package) and then the rest of the difference is due to the OS.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
After Acer Tech Support helped solve my problem, I asked them about the 12.71GB since my tablet said the same thing. They said on any flash drive some storage is lost even from the get go (i.e. on any drive you never get the full amount on the package) and then the rest of the difference is due to the OS.
I guess the OS would use up some memory. I forgot about that. *stupid stupid me*
I wonder how much memory is lost though other than that used by the OS. Because currently, there is 3.29GB loss.

I just sent Acer a "question" email.
I reported the bug about the memory filling up, as well as another bug I am having (sd card becoming corrupted 2x so far). I also included questions about the memory total that was basically just answered, as well as questions about whether or not the tablet will support additional video formats (I want MKVs and VOBs in particular) and support for NTFS devices.
Ill definitely post anything regarding the memory bug here. Everything else may be on a separate thread though, since it doesnt actually relate to this one.

luckybadback

May 17, 2011
Hi, I am no expert but have read in several separate articles that NTFS formatting is not supported. I am guessing since it was developed by microsoft for drive security back in the late 90's. Back then I learned about NTFS as part of becoming a MCSE, boy does that feel like a lifetime ago..I hope this helps.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Hi, I am no expert but have read in several separate articles that NTFS formatting is not supported. I am guessing since it was developed by microsoft for drive security back in the late 90's. Back then I learned about NTFS as part of becoming a MCSE, boy does that feel like a lifetime ago..I hope this helps.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

I dont know all the technical stuff (well, besides what I just learned from you), but simply put, Acer told me in the reply to that email that not supporting NTFS is a Honeycomb issue. If Android 3 decided to support the format, then so will our tablets.

I couldve sworn I mentioned the response I got from my email, but I guess I forgot. -_-'